Author Topic: do color separators prefer certain inks brands/mixes due to their pigments?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I'm learning quite a bit these days about ink color theory... and when starting to learn about how inks are made, I've found that some manufacturers mix vastly different than others for the same PMS colors...

non substantiated example, but i know it occurs: a Wilflex Red may have a fair amount of fluorescent pink in it, while a Rutland may have little to no fluorescent pigment.

Since we know that fluorescent pigments can cause metameric shift, would separations from a person who speced out a pantone color for their separations assuming one mixing system get different results with a different mixing system?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
I have never had a problem with Color reproduction using standard formulas*.

*other than adjusting opacities for better color blending during the printing process.

** I am also not trying to reproduce museum quality prints.

My assumption:  If your art had no need for fluorescents in its creation.  Do not use formulas that have flou pigments.  All ink companies have alternate formulas - however not all colors will look right with their removal.

From a straight printing perspective.  Flou pigments will always create a high chance for ink build up/tack during the print run.  If you want to eliminate as many variables during your print run, pigment changes are one to look at.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
they may prefer some inks, but not really sure that matters. . . Ultimately, they have to deliver seps that work with your inks as it would not make sense for you to be switching just to accommodate the separator.
Also, when Dan and I started, he was a fan of certain inks that don't work as well as what we were using. 'not sure what he prefers now, but it is quite likely that it is something else. What this means is that you should pick one system and stick with it. No system is perfect, so switching will just buy you new headaches. Learn the one you have now, and find the fixes for the problems.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I wasn't talking about switching.. I am just trying to understand if different ink formulations would cause different effects on press due to the way those pigments blend, and if it matters who's doing your separations because they choose specific colors.

doesn't sound like it matters as much as the math would suggest.

Offline AAMike

It sure seems like the equalizers don't have the same punch as pc's in the wilflex world.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
You also have some difference in chemistry between the two.

Equalizers are pigment/resin/plasticiser.
PC's are pigment dispersions into plasticiser.

When dispersing either into your base this equates to a difference in resin/plasticiser balance that can impact wet on wet performance/ink rheology - thickness of deposit/brightness and cleaness of your print.  Different bases will also show different results.

The difference should be very minor, but if you are a printer who is "very aware" you may see the difference.

TLDR:  Use the one you have and strive to fine tune what you are using.  If you are having repeatability issues with your system, then look into your options.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline starchild

I think that as far as seperations, pertaining to different ink brands affect on the print, will be that different ink's opacity will attain higher values with less ink micron thickness. So dot size has to be considered.. Especially when the ink is mixing with another color to make a third.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline AntonySharples

TLDR:  Use the one you have and strive to fine tune what you are using.  If you are having repeatability issues with your system, then look into your options.

This is it.  Screen printing is all about repeatability.  It breeds consistency, quicker set ups, faster runs, and more profits.  Pick a system, roll with it and build your process accordingly.

To answer Jason's question more directly, I'm sure each separator is used to working with a certain set of inks and as they have built experience into their seps to accommodate for certain production issues they compensate for that, but it is up to the printer to make it work and do the adjustments needed if they are not on the same page.  I will say that my main guy is awesome, and I know that when he seps a job, because I have my screens, squeeges and printing processes dialed in, that job is going to be pretty close to dead nuts on without any tweaking because all parts are lined up.  Even when I do the seps, which I am not by any means great at it, I can get pretty damn close because I have put in the time to develop those processes.