Author Topic: M&R hothead roller  (Read 3142 times)

Offline BP

M&R hothead roller
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:40:40 AM »
Anyone using M&R's hothead roller? Your thoughts on it?
SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline zanegun08

Re: M&R hothead roller
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:31:55 PM »
Hoping to get to test one sometime, and put it side by side against our $10 teflon screens with squeegee and see if it makes enough difference to justify the cost.

I would get the iron rather than the roller in my opinion because more surface area contact means heat for longer.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »
I just saw these.  The roller model looks best for ironing shirts pre print and the flat iron for using teflon post print.   Like zanegun said, more surface area.  The flat iron has been working well for s.roque users from what I hear for some time so I'm sure these would be ok if you have m&r, it's almost identical.   

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:12:29 PM »
I think Im going to bite the bullet on one... looks pretty slick.

The Iron would suit use better I think,

Offline Admiral

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 11:23:52 AM »
I just saw these.  The roller model looks best for ironing shirts pre print and the flat iron for using teflon post print.   Like zanegun said, more surface area.  The flat iron has been working well for s.roque users from what I hear for some time so I'm sure these would be ok if you have m&r, it's almost identical.

I think you mixed up the 2 roller types.

Anyone have one here now and have real feedback? Thinking about pulling the trigger for our CH3.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »

I think you mixed up the 2 roller types.

Anyone have one here now and have real feedback? Thinking about pulling the trigger for our CH3.

No experience with either, but at ISS I talked with Jeff from Slant Engineering and we talked about "'STAMPINATOR 480".  It shows some real true promise, for versatility. 

http://www.slantengineering.com/pages/heat-transfers

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 12:13:46 PM »
No experience with either, but at ISS I talked with Jeff from Slant Engineering and we talked about "'STAMPINATOR 480".  It shows some real true promise, for versatility. 

http://www.slantengineering.com/pages/heat-transfers

M&R already makes this, they call it the i-kiss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7qJfZ96Idw but it isn't really found on their website.

I'd be worried the long term effects of heat and pressure would have on the arms and pallets.

Also, if you heat press a tee with teflon, it has a nice smooth finish, now run it through the dryer and that goes away.  Could be cool for foil or some applications, as the press could probably run faster than a shuttle heat press.

To get the Hothead or Roq n Roller for that matter, I'd have to see an amazing difference between our "magic screen" and this equipment.  Even the action roller vs a squeegee there isn't a noticeable difference.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »
I have the Iron,

Its good. It does a great job of smoothing after the base white. Our white ink is smoother than we could ever get with a roller and teflon.

There has been some issues with "dragging" the image down a bit , but I think we fixed that for good.

I am awaiting my Virus foil and ink to try to get on press foil happening, which I think will be pretty cool.

All in all I am happy with the iron. Great build quality, and M&R support.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »
I have the Iron,

Its good. It does a great job of smoothing after the base white. Our white ink is smoother than we could ever get with a roller and teflon.

There has been some issues with "dragging" the image down a bit , but I think we fixed that for good.

I am awaiting my Virus foil and ink to try to get on press foil happening, which I think will be pretty cool.

All in all I am happy with the iron. Great build quality, and M&R support.

Okay, so you are using the roller and teflon then, right after the flash for the white base.

Did you try the iron and doing it before the base white? That is what my interest is for it - as it would remove chance of white base issues from changing under the teflon press (and also remove potential defects from any pauses and not getting the same smoothing as the rest of the shirts).

I think it would make printing on ringspun cotton a lot better this way, but maybe it works better doing the smoothing after the flash.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
We have the flat iron,

More surface area is better for flattening in my opinion. Once you buy the controller you can get either for like 700$ i think.

I have done experiments with the pre ironing, but i saw better results from after the first base.

Another note, the irons works well for keeping the boards smoother longer. We change the paper out less now because it smooths them down each time.

Offline IntegriTees

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 10:55:19 PM »
How fast are you running?
I would be afraid to still have a little tack from the flashed white.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 08:17:51 AM »
We have two kits coming from Action Engineering......teflon screen and roller squeegee combo. Print a fair amount of pig dyes and these definitely make an improvement on matting down the UB
Thanks Erik!

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:12:59 PM »
We run about 10% squeegee speed on our CHIIID.

Even with a slight tack, the teflon is coated with silicone spray and that really helps with release.