Author Topic: printing pom pom shirts next week  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Prints Charming

• Verified/Junior
printing pom pom shirts next week
« on: October 27, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »
I just got platens in today so we can print large across the shoulders for the pom pom / billboard shirts for a client. Image size is 9 in tall and 24 in across. Any tips or suggestions on this. They are Hollaway spirit shirts ,white ink on a workhorse Sabre auto. Thanks in advance.
Randy Wilbanks 361-533-0593 Prints Charming Royal Tees corpus Christi Texas

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: printing pom pom shirts next week
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 08:39:13 PM »
on the auto, you'd probably want to put your 23x31 screens in 'landscape' orientation, buy a set of longer floodbars and squeegees, and buy a set of billboard style platens.

plus, you'll likely have problems flashing such a long print, unless you had 2 flash cures and could set them on different heads in a X type configuration to hit both sides of the print.

we ran some of these on the manual a few months back... only bought 1 platen, charged enough where it made it (somewhat) worth our time... had to flash twice per time (once on each half of the print)...  total pita.

or, you could make multi-part

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 11:50:22 AM »
And if flashing is going to be a problem, can you do it without? Not my preferred way for big ink deposits (due to finish), but with the right ink & mesh, it's do-able in many cases. (Assuming you meant this is a single-color, white print.)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 12:06:23 PM »
Alot I have seen are puff ink

Offline scott316

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 12:12:09 PM »
I know King Screen has printed some on a Workhorse Sabre. He is a member here and might be able to help you.
Scott Thompson
404-583-4903

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 01:02:14 PM »
We've printed those on some custom made platen for our manual press work out pretty darn good if I say so myself, I thought I posted a pic of the pallet on here some where.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 02:38:44 PM »
Puff ink is the trick or if you want to make it easy on your self get them to go with metalic silver or gold.  I use Wilflex liquid silver and gold for these and it's one hit no puff no additive.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
Puff doesn't have to be all or nothing, either. Some of the whites we use have a touch of puff in them, which helps them thicken & get a little more opaque during cure, but doesn't produce what people normally think of as a "puff print."
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 04:58:24 PM »
on the auto, you'd probably want to put your 23x31 screens in 'landscape' orientation, buy a set of longer floodbars and squeegees, and buy a set of billboard style platens.

plus, you'll likely have problems flashing such a long print, unless you had 2 flash cures and could set them on different heads in a X type configuration to hit both sides of the print.

we ran some of these on the manual a few months back... only bought 1 platen, charged enough where it made it (somewhat) worth our time... had to flash twice per time (once on each half of the print)...  total pita.

Sorry but I just had to LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4iEvAOcF2M
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »
We have the Action Engineering Spirit platens. 
We run double index.  Print on 2, flash on 4.  86 mesh.  Thick stencil.  Puff ink.
The Flashback is not wide enough so we bought a BBC quartz and use our index dwell and table up time to control flash time.

edit:  As stated above, we use 23x31 screens and turn them sideways (landscape) with a 24" wide squeegee/floodbar set.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:05:21 PM by kingscreen »
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »

Sorry but I just had to LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4iEvAOcF2M

Gotta hand it to you, that *IS* a cool feature.

Offline Prints Charming

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 11:57:12 PM »
Thanks for the tips,Scott I didn't think about flash.Looks like I will need to modify my extra old flash to spin sideways.Thanks again to all.

Offline Prints Charming

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 10:28:45 PM »
These are holloway shirts.50 poly 37 cotton 13 rayon.which ink would work best?

Offline chuckielb

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 08:14:09 AM »
50/50 white i do these all day

Offline Prints Charming

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 11:08:37 AM »
We finished these last week. A few notes  that helped, used a 86 mesh count sideways.Also added a nickle under the front side of screen to help the peeling action get started,and we used a roller screengee and teflon screen to smooth out the print.Used a quick flash white from Rivercity graphics supply that didn't have a blowing agent in it.We did not use any puff.Print very smooth all the way across.Also used a laser line up from Laze-it for placement.