Author Topic: anyone using printavo for shopmanagement  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Prints Charming

• Verified/Junior
anyone using printavo for shopmanagement
« on: November 11, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »
We have been using Printavo for a couple months now. It is far better than what we were using before(4 part carbon copy work order and large dry erase boards)
It doesn't have everything we would want but we have some work arounds for most .They are awesome to work with and have made small changes for us.
Randy Wilbanks 361-533-0593 Prints Charming Royal Tees corpus Christi Texas

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: anyone using printavo for shopmanagement
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »
We use printavo to interact with clients, the task feature to task out order specific items from dept to dept and the calendar for general scheduling. 

Great looking interface.  I don't consider it a management program per se but a nice "skin" for true management systems.  I use api calls going to google apps and three other web services with true core functionality to build something that resembles an integrated system.  Very affordable program with a clean look, just not an actual management system by any means and could use more access to api.    Now, if many of the features actually worked and did not create island data you might have a different animal all together. 

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 05:15:22 PM »
I've looked into is and demo'd it. It's not bad.

We are currently using Ink Soft, their back end/business tools is along the lines of Printavo.

I plan to take another good look at Printavo and Price-it before the year ends though.

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 09:01:40 AM »
Still waiting like two years later for Quickbooks Online sync to work. Would be nice to spend that time improving our business rather than helping diagnose someone else's software issues - especially when we're paying monthly for both Printavo and QBo.

Lots of potential but it's not quite there yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 11:44:42 AM »
We use printavo to interact with clients, the task feature to task out order specific items from dept to dept and the calendar for general scheduling. 

Great looking interface.  I don't consider it a management program per se but a nice "skin" for true management systems.  I use api calls going to google apps and three other web services with true core functionality to build something that resembles an integrated system.  Very affordable program with a clean look, just not an actual management system by any means and could use more access to api.    Now, if many of the features actually worked and did not create island data you might have a different animal all together.

I'd ask that you enlighten the less educated in this area like myself and explain some of the terms like API and ISLAND DATA please.

I happen to be looking for (something) right now, since this Co. I'm working for does not have ANYTHING in place for a production schedule or art dept. schedule.

I'd like to see something where one computer in each dept. can look up the status of a job in every stage.

Something with status updates entered by each dept head:

(Sales) New order entry.
Concept/Mock up process,
Product ordering/wherehouse status,
Concept approval,
Films completed,
product in house,
Production schedule
Product produced and shipped.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:50:34 AM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 10:51:02 PM »
Hey Dan, there are certainly others on here that could explain this better, I only know enough about it out of necessity. 

API allows one program to "call" another, i.e. a trigger occurs in program 1 and an action occurs in program 2.  It's based of fields of data entry in each program.  One example of how we use this is when we make a new "box" as they are called in our crm system it auto creates a new folder in the "Quoted" folder of our google drive with the same name as the box.  One less entry step for sales.   Another example is that a draft invoice is generated in our accounting program when a new order is created in Printavo.  The limitation of all this is that it's a one way street, not a sync between programs.  That is if you make an API call to generate a calendar event in google cal for an order due date in Printavo and the order date is changed in Printavo later, the g cal event does not update.  I've been using zapier for API services.  More savvy users probably could do it on their own. 

Much of the data in an app like Printavo is essentially on an island, that is it connects to nothing.  In Printavo you can assign a decoration type to a line item, say screen printing or embroidery.  But that assignment goes nowhere, you have no view available to pull up all the embroidery assigned line items v. printing.   This is senseless to have fields of information that cannot be utilized.   A good management program should provide metrics, it's not hard to do.  Many other areas of the app don't even have basic sorting.  The link we send our clients for them to see all their jobs stacks them randomly so larger clients have no way of sorting the newest jobs, delivered jobs, etc.

Most of these glaring issues stem for the cloud app mentality that's been popular in recent years.  My friend is a developer and sent me a book written by the guys who made basecamp.  It all make sense once you see their outlook on software development that has been adopted by so many- don't worry about core functionality, keep releasing "features" that may or may not work, address nothing until enough people complain, focus on the gui before the actual integrity of the app.  Makes for a lot of nice looking programs that do precious little and it makes me miss classic desktop software.  I don't need constant bells and whistles updated to my software, I need it to have core functionality and I need it to work.  There's not an app on my radar geared for our industry that meets those basic requirements. 

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 05:50:12 AM »
Well now Zoo, you've created a very clear picture for me. You've opened a window into these programs I would have normally had no idea.

Very good post. I appreciate your time on that one!!
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 09:24:51 AM »
We are in the process of writing our own and it's amazing the small details that go into a fairly simple piece of software.

That being said, the developer is looking to sell it when it's complete.  The main problem with that is your core functionality is different than my core.  For one, I won't switch to QB online.  I don't like it, my CPA hates it, and I don't see a need to change it.

We also do no pre-print or fulfillment.  We keep a very little amount of inventory(although this should be built in).  The idea is to make it simple, but also robust enough to cover our needs.

We are only about 2 months in, and so far the main focus has been the database.  Without that the whole exercise is pointless.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »
For one, I won't switch to QB online.  I don't like it, my CPA hates it, and I don't see a need to change it.

This has been such a let down for me, I don't understand why there is not a QB online version on par with the QB pro. It is a really poor watered down offering, but it seems that it is needed to sync the online/cloud shop software programs.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
I only have a few issues with QB Online, but it gets the job done.  I definitely dont miss the yearly upgrades and migration troubleshooting of QB Pro.  That was a always a nightmare...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 11:49:15 AM »
You don't have to have the online version to sync.  There are programs out there that can make just about anything communicate with the desktop version.   It's just a bummer that most companies focus on the online version.

With desktop, we are still running 2012.  No need to upgrade.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »
Always welcome Dan.  The bird's eye view on this is you build your own (crazy expensive and involved project), you deal with someone else's or you tie multiple web apps together.  The latter appears to be where everything is going these days.  You could, for example, use a platform like Azure to bring a set of web apps together in a gui.  The annual upkeep does get a little spendy at some point as you add up all the saas services though. 

I agree on development and didn't mean to come across as saying that adding features is easy, it's hard work and takes time and resources for sure.  I feel that the barricade to having robust core features is in the saas/web based software mindset however, not the actual building of them.   i.e., you've added the field, now let's just make it sortable.  That's not a code mountain to summit there. 

I have mapped out cores for a program like this a couple times and the last one I sketched out would work for all shops.  Couldn't say until it was implemented but I reject the idea that embellishment shops are so different that the core function of the software needs to be unique to each shop.  How it's utilized will vary wildly however and the app should be flexible. 

If you all are over QB online, try Xero.  We've been using it for years and we like it.  Reporting could be better and a few of the aus to us translation things are a little odd at first but it generally has more than you an your bookkeeper will need and very rigid system which is the key.  We do actually have a QB online account because we were huge fans of what used to be IPN since it is a very low fee way to get our larger clients to pay electronically. 

Regarding web v. desktop.  I wish there were more hybrid apps that install on the machine but run off the web.  It would speed up a lot of data entry, allow better offline work, etc.  We're in the land of sluggish, overpriced internet here and years away from getting a good fiber network so we feel it some days. 

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 11:58:45 AM »
You don't have to have the online version to sync.  There are programs out there that can make just about anything communicate with the desktop version.   It's just a bummer that most companies focus on the online version.

With desktop, we are still running 2012.  No need to upgrade.

Unless your CPA asks for it or it breaks and QB refuses to support it.  Both were issues at my old job, which is why they were always upgrading.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
How many are using google drive just for scheduling?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 03:43:14 PM »
For one, I won't switch to QB online.  I don't like it, my CPA hates it, and I don't see a need to change it.

This has been such a let down for me, I don't understand why there is not a QB online version on par with the QB pro. It is a really poor watered down offering, but it seems that it is needed to sync the online/cloud shop software programs.

We use a hosted version of QB Enterprise, it is not QB Online, it is a solid desktop version that you log into... We are still getting to do what we want slowly, but will eventually have it where we want it. Check out Cloud9 for their hosting services.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't