Author Topic: Wilflex white Lava  (Read 13642 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Wilflex white Lava
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2016, 02:03:28 PM »
Quick insta I took as I walking through the shop this morning..... Single stroke max speed, super opaque print. Probably too much squeegee pressure according to some but the print looks perfect and it will run 1000 pcs an hr all day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM4UEd6AokZ/?taken-by=denverprinthouse

I'm noticing you have your flood speed at 3. I have mine at 10 and I'm definitely not flooding as deep. I popped a screen a couple weeks ago and may have backed off the flood depth too much. That white looks real good on the video. 150/48 S mesh?

I'd like to try to mimic your settings. What is the OC, pressure, squeegeeflood depth at on that?

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 02:58:03 PM »
Yeah when we run spot color stuff we use a hard flood. Typically we run a speed of 3 on the flood until we are close to 100 shirts in on larger orders. Then the flood speed can go up to around 8 but on those images we take advantage of the flood to fill the stencil. Sometimes we run a squeegee on the flood area side which is a rad aspect with roq. Having a solid eom giving you that shirt side gasket allows this and proper off contact.. When we print sim process through very high mesh bases we cannot print near this fast. I treat our sim process and halftone work  like an entire different animal though. You will not see us flooding like this when we are doing almost anything other then spot work like I posted. 150/48 saati mesh on that print run.
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 03:15:04 PM »
I've been tempted to throw a squeegee in on the flood since I saw the Roq hybrid video, then I noticed you also did it on a couple of you videos. I know Joe Clarke suggested this a while back with his squeegees too.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 03:54:50 PM »
I just ordered a gallon to test out.  I am always looking for a better white ink.

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »
Just heard from Danny he runs a little lower angle at 12-15 with a fast speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ryan!

I'm going to try that. I think my parameters are pretty close to Danny's (or at least from some of his posts I read) Roq press, 150S mesh, OC, speed, etc.

I'm going to try the lower angle and see if that makes a difference for me and will report back here.

Ideally I run everything at 10 with a single stroke, but I'll also try a print speed of 5, it is slower than I'd rather print but in reality probably won't make much of a difference. Any idea what squeegee duro and angle Brett is using?
He also said, The lava needs a lot less squeegee pressure and a harder flood fill to work properly. 30-35 psi at Brett's we used a triple and about a 7 angle . The way Danny runs completely makes sense to me getting the ink flowing faster and the fluid momentum transferring through the screen mesh quicker allows for more opacity at higher speeds

Seems to me there was some guy at SGIA that did a presentation on this.....he might have even had a slide show to show how this works....wonder who that was??? ;)

Is there a difference between the newer Roq's and my older generation in regards to the scissor cylinder and air lines?  The new ones have to be generating a greater CFM as there is absolutely, positively now way we can run 30-35 psi with any ink.  For our machine 45 is almost unachievable and most times 50 is the lowest we can go.  I've felt that it's not a true reading.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2016, 04:43:54 PM »
I don't think psi on the print head is a good metric to compare between shops.  Off contact, angle of the blade, location of choppers, method of using chopper depth settings v. pressure as depth, etc. all changes what that number means. 

For instance, I watched us printing at about 30psi the other day and it was deflecting the arms of the press up significantly.  Seems like a too low a pressure to do that but we couldn't clear a screen with less and the print head was printing "perfectly" at high speed with a great shear.  So our shop's 30psi might be something like 50psi relative to another's.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2016, 05:19:16 PM »

Thanks Ryan!

I'm going to try that. I think my parameters are pretty close to Danny's (or at least from some of his posts I read) Roq press, 150S mesh, OC, speed, etc.

I'm going to try the lower angle and see if that makes a difference for me and will report back here.

Ideally I run everything at 10 with a single stroke, but I'll also try a print speed of 5, it is slower than I'd rather print but in reality probably won't make much of a difference. Any idea what squeegee duro and angle Brett is using?
He also said, The lava needs a lot less squeegee pressure and a harder flood fill to work properly. 30-35 psi at Brett's we used a triple and about a 7 angle . The way Danny runs completely makes sense to me getting the ink flowing faster and the fluid momentum transferring through the screen mesh quicker allows for more opacity at higher speeds

Seems to me there was some guy at SGIA that did a presentation on this.....he might have even had a slide show to show how this works....wonder who that was??? ;)

Is there a difference between the newer Roq's and my older generation in regards to the scissor cylinder and air lines?  The new ones have to be generating a greater CFM as there is absolutely, positively now way we can run 30-35 psi with any ink.  For our machine 45 is almost unachievable and most times 50 is the lowest we can go.  I've felt that it's not a true reading.

Between Joe Clarke and Richard Greeves I have been convinced to always print at 10!

Good question on the PSI. Mine is also an older generation one and when I drop the pressure to 35-40 it's just not happening. 50-60 seems to be where I need to be. I've been trying to figure out why others are printing with much lower pressure.

Off topic, how are you combating pressure marks from the squeegee on the shirt?

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 09:19:36 AM »

Thanks Ryan!

Between Joe Clarke and Richard Greeves I have been convinced to always print at 10!

Good question on the PSI. Mine is also an older generation one and when I drop the pressure to 35-40 it's just not happening. 50-60 seems to be where I need to be. I've been trying to figure out why others are printing with much lower pressure.

Off topic, how are you combating pressure marks from the squeegee on the shirt?

I really only notice it on certain shirts and even then, they come out of the dryer and I don't really notice them.  Once it goes through a wash it is fine anyways.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2016, 11:07:20 AM »
Normal tees aren't that bad and do seem to come out in the dryer. But it seems like tri-blends they like to stick around on. I'm guessing this is a byproduct of not having rubber coated pallets.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2016, 07:23:48 AM »
Quick insta I took as I walking through the shop this morning..... Single stroke max speed, super opaque print. Probably too much squeegee pressure according to some but the print looks perfect and it will run 1000 pcs an hr all day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM4UEd6AokZ/?taken-by=denverprinthouse

Are all of your flood bars at 15 degrees or just the UB?

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »
Update:

(Roq You press) I slowed my flood down to 3, increased our squeegee angle to 13, and lowered the flood bar for a harder flood as suggested by Danny. The results were much much better. I feel the IC is still offering better opacity, but only slightly. Like maybe 5% more.

We did 25 shirts, but sent it around twice. So 50 prints, and didn't have to card the ink at all. And it looked like it could print a lot more before we needed to. For us that is big and worth a 3-5% drop in opacity. With the IC Legacy we were printing and flooding both at 10, single stroke, and getting beautiful opacity. However it seemed we had to card between every 10-20 prints. Something I wasn't a fan of. It slows us down and gets ink on my fingers (small shop so we are either 1 or 2 people on the press).

We still have some adjustments I feel we can make here and I am going to play around with my squeegee angle and pressure a little. I'd also like to see if we can work the flood speed back up. We brought it up to 5 and it didn't seem to effect anything. All in all I'm feeling really good about it and there is a very good chance this will replace the IC in our shop. But still need to see it perform in more than one small print run and would also like to make sure the bleed resistance is up to par.

Thanks for the tips!

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 12:48:16 PM »
Just got this ink on my Workhorse, and all I can say is this is the best white I have ever used.  Ryonet hasnt been my go to for many years due to some issues, but they won me back with this white ink.  It really is impressive.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2016, 08:32:45 PM »
Just got this ink on my Workhorse, and all I can say is this is the best white I have ever used.  Ryonet hasnt been my go to for many years due to some issues, but they won me back with this white ink.  It really is impressive.
Yes the Lave LB is great and only outdone by the Epic Bright Tiger White.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »
Lava LB is awesome so far. One of my favorite whites I've used. Messed around with Ryocharge and the LB white today and got pretty awesome results.

Offline rogerholien

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2016, 08:37:55 PM »
So did you print strait out of the gallon, what mesh count. Please tell me more details on your experience. What other whites have you used or using before Lava.