Author Topic: bobbin tension issues  (Read 7811 times)

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: bobbin tension issues
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2016, 04:55:35 PM »
I just put in new rotary hooks and I need to work on my timing skills and setting the hook gap. It appears I was off a lil bit. That seemed to help somewhat. I want to use a gauge on the bobbin but my settings are too far off when I do so I guess the drop test until I learn more. Or find a different gauge? I don't know.

I have the magna glide in now and we're back jammin so all is good.. until tomorrow.  ::)

Rob, you can have my 3 boxes of madiera mag sided bobbins. I'll never use them.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Online Admiral

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2016, 05:55:10 PM »
<snip> I feel like only 1-2 bobbins out of a whole box are an issue at all. <snip>

You'll have a rounding error to zero issues with magna glide bobbins, box after box after many boxes. Along with the same tension from start to finish on each bobbin.

We had lots of issues before we switched over to them 100%.

Well it's a minor issue usually not a crazy issue where it ruins something - but yea I do get it that going from 1/144 to 0 problems would be beneficial just very marginally with how well they run for us.  Will definitely try them out at some point!  The embroidery suppliers we currently use don't supply them is all.

I'll try to get the embroiderers to track how many times we have issues with a bad bobbin on the 3 or 4 cases we have right now.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2016, 06:25:53 PM »
I just put in new rotary hooks and I need to work on my timing skills and setting the hook gap. It appears I was off a lil bit. That seemed to help somewhat. I want to use a gauge on the bobbin but my settings are too far off when I do so I guess the drop test until I learn more. Or find a different gauge? I don't know.

I have the magna glide in now and we're back jammin so all is good.. until tomorrow.  ::)

So it sounds like you're making progress!  I knew you would....

I was so frustrated with our machines at first. Young boys don't often grow up working with sewing machines, but more like mowers, bikes, go carts and motorcycles. I'm in the group of "mechanically fluent" instead of "wrenching dunces".... but still, these things just aren't the same as an engine misfire, or brakes squealing, or a wheel out of balance, or a carburetor with a plugged passage.

Yet they still ARE machines, and operate with a given set of known parameters...which can be understood in time. Like a bad ground or a vacuum leak, just different somehow.

I was struggling to learn how to get my plastisol transfers to register 2nd, 3rd, 4th colors etc, after passing through the dryer. FINALLY(!) The Proverbial Light Bulb has come on, and I ran a 6 color, SimPro transfer today. Each pass lined up VERY well, once I finally figured it out. I believe I was hurrying the paper through the tunnel too much on the Preparation Passes (shrinking passes) to get the papers fully, uniformly dry. I'm now shooting for 60 seconds of dwell now @266 degrees for the pre-treatment. And although that may be all WRONG for other shops, 2 passes like this, and the papers go right into my 120-ish degree hot boxes and my registration troubles are over. Each printing pass is 230 to about 240 degrees for 45 seconds. If it is raining outside, I don't know.

Jay, please keep this thread updated. (I know you will.) But I am very interested to see how this particular, odd problem ends up.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2016, 08:42:43 AM »
Well it's a minor issue usually not a crazy issue where it ruins something - but yea I do get it that going from 1/144 to 0 problems would be beneficial just very marginally with how well they run for us.  Will definitely try them out at some point!  The embroidery suppliers we currently use don't supply them is all.

I'll try to get the embroiderers to track how many times we have issues with a bad bobbin on the 3 or 4 cases we have right now.

We buy them from Fil-Tec.  Along with our backing.  They have a rip-stop type backing that is awesome.  They also make it in a super thick version that is killer was well.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2016, 04:08:35 PM »

Now that i said i have not had issues with them, I'm waiting for the ball to drop ..LOL

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »
Now that i said i have not had issues with them, I'm waiting for the ball to drop ..LOL

still waiting for your balls to drop huh Rob...sounds about right.

;D
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 10:18:23 AM »

still waiting for your balls to drop huh Rob...sounds about right.

;D

SURE AM! LOL