Author Topic: PALLETS: rubber-topped vs bare metal, your thoughts?  (Read 10389 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: PALLETS: rubber-topped vs bare metal, your thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »
Application tape manufacturers have their bad days too though. I've had a few rolls that blew my mind.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »
...man, I am SICK of the battle that is changing pallet tape. Given, I dont change it often, so it kinda stays on there for up to several months and usually flashed, but no matter what tape I try it still forms a death-bond with the pallet rubber. I used to work at a shop many years ago that just pulled the rubber off and we ran bare aluminum. This was a looong time ago, but I dont really remember any downside to doing this, although it does seem like they heated up faster.

...Do any of you use bare pallets? Why or why not? Since someone will ask, I have a Diamondback with composite pallets, I assume there is probably some reason you cant use those bare... maybe Rich will chime in on this, or maybe the guys at Action.

...thanks for the input!
Your print quality is a little better with rubber coated pallets. If you are having trouble removing the pallet tape you may be using a poor quality tape.tape should come off easily and in one piece. Send me an e-mail with what your are using and I will get you the right product to try.
244 would you share that product info with the rest of us. I to have problems with my tape sticking, but I probably leave it on too long.
The one we sell out of our New York branch is Vector Graphics. It has the proper adhesive to come off properly from our rubber. I cannot speak for others rubber as I do not know what they use. Our part number for this item and pricing is below.
16"X100'- part #S-PP-16100 $50.40each or $42.84 in quantities of 6.
18"X100'- part #S-PP-18100 $64.75             $55.04
24"X100'- part #S-PP-24100 $68.34             $68.34
These are sold in our New York branch.
Rich Hoffman

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »

Stan and Tony. Great guys, dealt with them when I was in Brooklyn.

I have used the paper Rich is talking about and it works good when not left on for long periods of time. I had the press people getting in the habit of removing the paper when they did a pallet change over. This way when they were stored in racks, they were bare and ready for paper on the next time they were needed. If someone was waiting for a press or had idle hands, we had them apply paper to the bare ones so they would be ready to go.

It's always good to change the paper often especially if you have bits of lint and other junk. Dirty boards will show in the print and you can't fix it till you remove it. Watch out in the bigger shops, the employees will use it as an excuse to take a break or just dilly dally with the re-application.

2 people on a 14 station press should have the paper off and back on ready to print in 15 minutes with a clean cut razor edge, 10 minutes if they just fold the paper tails over the edge. If it's taking 30 minutes, something is wrong and needs to be addressed.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:25:48 PM by jsheridan »
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 07:47:11 PM »

Stan and Tony. Great guys, dealt with them when I was in Brooklyn.

I have used the paper Rich is talking about and it works good when not left on for long periods of time. I had the press people getting in the habit of removing the paper when they did a pallet change over. This way when they were stored in racks, they were bare and ready for paper on the next time they were needed. If someone was waiting for a press or had idle hands, we had them apply paper to the bare ones so they would be ready to go.

It's always good to change the paper often especially if you have bits of lint and other junk. Dirty boards will show in the print and you can't fix it till you remove it. Watch out in the bigger shops, the employees will use it as an excuse to take a break or just dilly dally with the re-application.

2 people on a 14 station press should have the paper off and back on ready to print in 15 minutes with a clean cut razor edge, 10 minutes if they just fold the paper tails over the edge. If it's taking 30 minutes, something is wrong and needs to be addressed.

I like the times you quoted. I could never do it that fast. I guess that why I don't chnage mine very offen.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »
Double Sided - 14" x 20 ft - $24.99

http://poconoscreen.com/products/shopaccessories.html

seems a bit pricey but It has to be way quicker than standard pallet tape

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 06:21:47 AM »
Just an FYI R-tape series 4350 is most likely the best choice. It is the optimum combination of mil thickness and adhesive. More than likely a "bad roll" has aged too long.