Author Topic: [tutorial] How to separate a gradient in Photoshop  (Read 2975 times)

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
[tutorial] How to separate a gradient in Photoshop
« on: November 30, 2016, 03:07:17 PM »
When you separate a gradient, sometimes it can seem tough to get the blending just right.  You want the colors to overlap and mix a bit.  Here is my tutorial video on how to get that gradient separated so that it is press friendly.

https://youtu.be/DgKZB5IWGrk
myseps.com color separations by Scott D.   Follow me on facebook

Offline UltraSeps

Re: [tutorial] How to separate a gradient in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 04:30:59 PM »
Nice video, should be helpful to many printers.  Always good to see others producing helpful tutorials.

Looks like you're using Camtasia with a green screen?  I just upgraded to their latest version both Mac and Windows.  Only issue with the Mac version is the videos are enormous in size.  At least that's what I've experienced with the Mac version.  I've been recording lately on a Mac for another business of mine although exporting the project file to Windows and rendering there.  The videos render at about 1/8 the size.

Enough of my babbling.  Good work!
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
I'm using OBS.  It's geared towards live streaming and gaming, but works great for recording videos as well.  The files are actually not that large.  Recording / editing on a mac with iMovie for now.  Might start using the adobe video editor later on but for now iMovie is working.

myseps.com color separations by Scott D.   Follow me on facebook

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 10:39:47 PM »
It's all in your rendering settings, you can make any file on either platform... Just twist the right "knobs".

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 06:08:06 PM »
Nice, good info. I like to work with my selections masks in the positive form. Personal preference only.

This is good for soo many.  Too may times, I hear of people pulling these gradations using color range. There is no harm whatsoever in recreating your on (in the channels).  Good on ya. How you get there, is not important and not cheating at all.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850