Author Topic: Need help printing "vintage" look  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Prince Art

Re: Need help printing "vintage" look
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 12:40:17 PM »
Reiterating some of what's been said:

"Vintage" soft prints are one of the most popular things we do. Rutland M3, 230 mesh, sharp medium squeegees. 1 flood, 1 fast stroke. If you need a slight bump in opacity, do 2 strokes. If you want to keep colors as accurate (albeit muted) as possible, don't add base. Otherwise, you can add the soft hand base of your choice to make the print as soft as possible.

Also, you can print an underbase the same way, flash once, and top it, and you'll get a brighter print that's still fairly soft.

But here's the thing to remember, counter-intuitive though it may be: Don't try to matte down the fibers on these prints. If you've got enough ink on the shirt to hold them flat, you've got too much ink on there. For this style of printing, most of the time we don't even fully clear the screen.

Also, at least if you do it this way, it is possible the end user will get a little bit of dulling in the print after washing, due to fibrillation. We try to let our customers know to expect this as a characteristic of "vintage" prints. (No one has ever complained.)

Last but not least! Watch your dryer temps & shirts like crazy, do some tests before you do the run. In particular, Next Level triblend has given us terrible problems with discoloration/scorching/shrinking this year.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 12:43:43 PM »
Awesome Info everybody.  I decided to bring the client in to do a press check on the first color combo.  I decided to go with a chino based M3 230 mesh screen.  Ill post photos of what the client accepts and what we go with.

Thanks for all of the help on this, you guys are great!!!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Awesome Info everybody.  I decided to bring the client in to do a press check on the first color combo. 

Hate to say it but that's almost the only way to do it. Tone on tone/vintage means many different
things to different people.

Wait till they start asking you to print black on black. We do a lot of it and haven't done it the same way twice
yet.

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »
I believe that one stroke has a new line of inks out just for this.

Or make it yourself with the right base mix.

Murphy

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »
Well, we did a press check and like stated before "vintage" or dulled will be different for everybody's taste.  What I think of when dulled is a 230 fast speed print, getting a very muted result, instead the customer wanted a somewhat brighter look than I thought.  Almost 85% opacity.  It really doesnt look far off from a "normal" print for us.  So yeah, it is a good thing to press check especially when there is a lot of interpretation that can happen from email, to computer screen, to press.

Ultimately the shirt on the right is what they went with.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 03:37:25 PM »
One on the left looked better. ;) Customers! ::)

You did the right thing for sure. Whenever someone's new to "vintage" prints, I go to great lengths to make sure they know what they're getting, and we've definitely had instances of adjusting the process to suit the customer.
Nice guys laugh last.