Author Topic: One Stroke Inks new ink  (Read 14243 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
One Stroke Inks new ink
« on: December 09, 2016, 09:58:53 AM »
Any one using One Strokes new water color plastisol inks Pros/Cons this what they say

Replace water-based inks with a plastisol inks and get your freedom back.  No longer do you need a special emulsion.  Ink will not dry in your screen.  You won't need excessive cure times to evaporate the water in the ink.  Watercolor solves so many problems.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline farmboygraphics

Re: One Stroke Inks new ink
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 11:07:27 AM »
Waiting for my sample kit.
Tees and Coffee

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 12:06:34 PM »
looks interesting...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Admiral

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 12:14:33 PM »
Link would be helpful, is this it? http://www.onestrokeinks.com/assets/war_paint.pdf

This is not plastisol though.  I thought the whole 'replace water based inks and it's easier than ever' and you mentioning it's plastisol was all a joke...

Sounds like the Excalibur Evolution series 2 ink to me? PVC free  -  Hopefully less expensive though.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 12:20:32 PM »
Here's a link to the tech sheet. http://www.onestrokeinks.com/assets/tds_watercolor.pdf
To me, though, it seems to match a description of based-down plastisol.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Admiral

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »
Here's a link to the tech sheet. http://www.onestrokeinks.com/assets/tds_watercolor.pdf
To me, though, it seems to match a description of based-down plastisol.

Yea I wonder how easy it would be to replicate with soft hand base / curable reducer mix. 

Currently we just use QCM Softee base and higher mesh counts when going for soft hand feel.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 01:11:55 PM »
We like Rutland's Chino base, and WM Plastics Just So Soft base/additive for this.
I feel like it's a stretch claiming it's a replacement for Waterbased ink.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 01:43:34 PM »
All of the plastisols that try to emulate wb have fibrillation issues imo. 

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 02:08:41 PM »
Don't water base have the same characteristics  (fibrillation)?  when I first started screen printing all I knew about was water base inks, but I did a lot of white and very light color shirts back then too, so that might not have been a problem or I didn't have sense enough to know.  If DC inks was not a difficult beast and worked on any garment color I'd go DC, but I'm interested in this ink from One Stroke, but I know it will come with a nice price tag if it's what they say it is.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 02:13:03 PM »
All of the plastisols that try to emulate wb have fibrillation issues imo.

yep.  I havent tested this one, but of all the weird bases and inks I've tried, none of them act like actual waterbased inks, especially once the garment has been washed.  Black waterbased inks (good ones at least) stay super black for dozens of washes with no hand or weird lightening due to fibration because the fibers are actually dyed black from the ink.  Black plastisols, stock or pigmented bases of all kinds, tend to lighten up due to the fibration and tend to still have a hand, even if it is "soft" compared to standard plastisol prints.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 02:13:41 PM »
Another approach to taming errant fibers is to do so with water-based ink. This can work well with white shirts, the ones that show fibrillation the most. Water-based ink can penetrate and color the fibers of the shirt so that, even if they do pop up, they’re mostly the proper color. ~ Rick Roth
Dale Hoyal

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
Don't water base have the same characteristics  (fibrillation)?  when I first started screen printing all I knew about was water base inks, but I did a lot of white and very light color shirts back then too, so that might not have been a problem or I didn't have sense enough to know.  If DC inks was not a difficult beast and worked on any garment color I'd go DC, but I'm interested in this ink from One Stroke, but I know it will come with a nice price tag if it's what they say it is.

Not if done right.   The pigment wicks into the fibers themselves so nothing can fuzz out after wearing/washing due to the fibers breaking loose of the ink film.  Think dyeing v. coating here.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 03:35:55 PM »
Bringing this back up again because I got a call from One stroke this morning, trying to get me to buy a sample, I don't buy sample's not at there price.  I told them I ask about this ink here and didn't get much of a response which I found odd because you guys are pretty much up on the new inks hitting the market, so I ask again has anyone tried there new water color inks which is from what they say a plastisol water base ink without the drying properties of true water base ink.  Oh and one stroke is some very pricey azz inks ;)

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 07:11:45 PM »
Here, if a job calls for waterbase like softness....... we just print waterbase.....

With that said:  We use Rutlands Ultra Soft Primer Clear.  It has better long term matte abilities than Chino, Fashion soft etc.... BUT, it will build up if you print it wet on wet.  We usually use it for one color stuff that needs to be really soft and tonal on colored garments.  Typically blends.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 12:16:51 AM »
I haven't used it, but after talking to our rep a few time about it...It sounds like a good idea in theory and I'm sure it's got a market out there...But here if we need an ink of that sort we mix it in house.

Murphy