Author Topic: The Frustations of SPEC art!  (Read 5575 times)

Offline theMadArtist

• Creativity Makes the Difference!
The Frustations of SPEC art!
« on: December 09, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
Could get no deposit from one of my best customers, who wanted "something like" this, requesting a 'sketch'....
Custom Art done FAST! And within your Budget...
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline theMadArtist

Re: The Frustations of SPEC art!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 12:04:24 PM »
The only way I could handle this was by trying endless combinations of clip art shapes- and drawing a better skull!
It was rejected by his prospective client.

How would any of YOU have handled this; budget was only 200....
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »
laugh in their face?

No seriously...

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 12:06:59 PM »
Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha! I SHULD have; but he wanted that client SO bad!

Mine ~
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »
Could get no deposit from one of my best customers, who wanted "something like" this, requesting a 'sketch'....
All you could (should) do is figure time, your hourly rate, and present those terms. Give in, and you are telling this guy exactly what he thinks you may be worth.
As for a deposit, hopefully you learned your lesson from getting stiffed previously, because when his prospective client refuses to pay him, it will go up the food chain.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 12:09:14 PM »
So, if any of you want this- it's vector- 2 color- you can have it with a donation!

theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 12:10:55 PM »
All you could (should) do is figure time, your hourly rate, and present those terms. Give in, and you are telling this guy exactly what he thinks you may be worth.
As for a deposit, hopefully you learned your lesson from getting stiffed previously, because when his prospective client refuses to pay him, it will go up the food chain.

Had NO idea how much time it took!
Ignored your advice on this- and lost my shirt.
My pants, too!
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 12:44:33 PM »
You do it to yourself.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 01:08:39 PM »
I used to take any job that paid me money, and figure it out afterwards. Most of the time i worked for pennies, or worse...for free. But I was desperate and needed to create to eat, and felt any work was better than no work.

Nowadays I do not even get out of bed without getting paid first, and if a client tries to see the art before paying, or gives me the bullsh*t line that they are going to sell 1000 of these, and pay after,  I reject them. Right there and then. I would rather not work and not get paid...

I think its clear that these types of clients get rejected, and keep trying until they can take advantage of someone.

My regret in business is that I wasted my time with people like this, when I could have been focusing on clients with budgets, who knows that you get what you pay for.

Keep your chin up, and start rejecting these guys. It feels great.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 04:17:29 PM »
Too many customers think your art talent is a gift so they shouldn't be expected to pay for it.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 05:50:04 PM »
I used to take any job that paid me money, and figure it out afterwards. Most of the time i worked for pennies, or worse...for free. But I was desperate and needed to create to eat, and felt any work was better than no work.

Nowadays I do not even get out of bed without getting paid first, and if a client tries to see the art before paying, or gives me the bullsh*t line that they are going to sell 1000 of these, and pay after,  I reject them. Right there and then. I would rather not work and not get paid...

I think its clear that these types of clients get rejected, and keep trying until they can take advantage of someone.

My regret in business is that I wasted my time with people like this, when I could have been focusing on clients with budgets, who knows that you get what you pay for.

agree 110%, feel the exact same way.... Too many paying customers out there to waste my efforts on deadbeats. I do not understand why you would ever perform a service in the hopes of getting the job? Compare that to other industries. Go to a restaurant and tell the chef you want a steak, if I like it, I'll buy from you. If not, I'll go elsewhere.. when he's done slapping you in the head, he'll hand you a bill.....Only on rare occasions would I draw something for a customer before we discuss numbers. and it has to be a returning customer.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 09:48:08 PM »

Thank you, Homer!
That job FINALLY convinced me!
But-I have to whine to SOMEBODY! (Leer)
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 11:21:22 PM »

Offline Underbase37

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 07:56:24 AM »
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...