Author Topic: The Frustations of SPEC art!  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Prince Art

Re: The Frustations of SPEC art!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
Ha! 8)  That was awesome. And spot on, right down to the parts about fee reductions & intellectual property.

I think every customer who deals with art & graphics, as well as custom goods, needs to see this. And more importantly, every designer needs to see this. I think the biggest reason that the problem persists is that designers & artists persist in doing stuff on spec, and undervaluing their work time. (And I've been very guilty of this in the past, only to wake up to the same realizations ffokazak mentioned.)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 12:20:09 PM »
Unfortunately, seeing this video, and/or even knowing how screwed up speculation jobs are, there are, apparently plenty of takers as it even spawned a cottage industry. As pointed out, in this old thread, it's perhaps a good fit for newbies looking for exposure, but not for established, career minded artists with a little pride.
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,3941.msg43306.html#msg43306
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:32:13 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »
Loved that video. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline theMadArtist

• Creativity Makes the Difference!
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 05:20:32 PM »
Loved that video. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well, you have to factor in 'Free' Trade- where artists in other countries do it for next to nothing....
Good ol' Mugger Sam!
Custom Art done FAST! And within your Budget...
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline dlac

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
 while back I had a dipsh--t from Ky wanted a pulling truck,his truck..I wanted the job, asked him for a deposit,  he went off accusing me of not trusting him, and he was a christian respected in his community and I was accusing him of cheating me...LOL.. I did the job, he screwed me out of $75.00 and he did not get the vector.. there is one on every corner..
Rastor to Vector is my favorite.. disastor is my
specialty and Dots make me crazy...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 02:06:47 PM »
That video is awesome.  I love the Greek guy. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 02:19:51 PM »
This "*** of choice" concept came up around the inauguration with Marla and Tiffany apparently not wanting to pay for hair styling, but promising to write up the stylist in their tweets and other social media reports.
At the time, their supporters defended their actions saying that this is commonly how the rich and famous do things. I guess that's why they either stay rich, (or sometimes hide the fact that they're not)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »
This "*** of choice" concept came up around the inauguration with Marla and Tiffany apparently not wanting to pay for hair styling, but promising to write up the stylist in their tweets and other social media reports.
At the time, their supporters defended their actions saying that this is commonly how the rich and famous do things. I guess that's why they either stay rich, (or sometimes hide the fact that they're not)

This happens A LOT.  My dad used to handle the linen and towel account for the MN Vikings.(early 80's)  There was a bulletin board in there with all kinds of free offers if you did an ad or endorsed a company.  One of them was a free car.  This is nothing new and probably only worse with the advent of social media.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
while back I had a dipsh--t from Ky wanted a pulling truck,his truck..I wanted the job, asked him for a deposit,  he went off accusing me of not trusting him, and he was a christian respected in his community and I was accusing him of cheating me...LOL.. I did the job, he screwed me out of $75.00 and he did not get the vector.. there is one on every corner..

I've had a couple of small churches not pay. My answer for that one is, no Christian would ask me to work for free... (yes, I am one). Labels, you just can't trust them...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 05:13:31 PM »
When someone tells me they are a Christian,  8), now your deposit is 50% of your total ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 08:45:42 AM »
Turned this around just yesterday and must  give credit to this topic as it instantly jumped into my head.
Guy came in associated with the local high school wanting to sell me an ad in the yearbook.
Told him I have been in business going on 16 years but I have never seen one order from the high school. But I told him if he would give me a free ad that I would seriously consider and major discount in my prices if I've got any activity from the  ad. He said he understood thank me for my time tucked his portfolio into his arm and quietly walked out the door I guess it worked.
Mooseman
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:49:29 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
When someone tells me they are a Christian,  8), now your deposit is 50% of your total ;D

The point being to me, is that if you have to say it, it's not that obvious? All jobs need a 50% deposit, we don't start art without a sales order for it, not to say I don't occasionally whip out a simple design for someone I know I can trust...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't