Author Topic: ? for you printers  (Read 6190 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
? for you printers
« on: April 27, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »
I am doing a sep job and it's on red tees.  It's sim process and I can use a gray base rather than white (as I have allot of gray in th eprint.

With this being on red tees, I would suggest using a low bleed ink. Does Gray ink already have some bleed resistant properties or should we use a bleed resistant additive in the gray ink?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: ? for you printers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:51:50 PM »
Are these red shirts 50/50? If not, you don't need low bleed ink (I still know of no additive)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »
I am doing a sep job and it's on red tees.  It's sim process and I can use a gray base rather than white (as I have allot of gray in th eprint.

With this being on red tees, I would suggest using a low bleed ink. Does Gray ink already have some bleed resistant properties or should we use a bleed resistant additive in the gray ink?

I was in a same boat a few weeks ago. From what I am told, there is no such thing as low bleed additive. I ended using a low bleed white and added black to make it gray.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline repogolfer

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »
Does Gray ink already have some bleed resistant properties or should we use a bleed resistant additive in the gray ink?

For us we mix all of our grays in house.  So I know ours DO have it in them.  But like frog said unless they're 50/50's I don't think there will be any issues.

Jon

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »
Are these red shirts 50/50? If not, you don't need low bleed ink (I still know of no additive)

You know, I don't know.  I always fear the worse, but don't ALL deep red shirts migrate a little?  Both 100% and less. I always assumed that even on 100% cotton that the RED migrated a tad (due to the dye) and not so much the cotton content. I understand that polly does not hold the dye as easily and heat releases it even more.

All red shirts migrate a little due to the dye. Tue or False?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Clark

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:52:36 PM »

If 100% cotton red shirts migrate, I've never seen it.  As long as the printer is careful during the cure, it shouldn't be a problem.  Does this printer have a donut probe to check temp all the way through the dryer?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 06:56:43 PM »

You know, I don't know.  I always fear the worse, but don't ALL deep red shirts migrate a little?  Both 100% and less. I always assumed that even on 100% cotton that the RED migrated a tad (due to the dye) and not so much the cotton content. I understand that polly does not hold the dye as easily and heat releases it even more.

In short, nope, false, not 100% cotton red. In fact, the only cotton I have ever had problems with were camo.
I used to be honored by conversations with Richard Labov, before he passed away. The former president of Union ink told me a few years ago, that there were some weird imports that, though cotton, did have this problem.
Fortunately, they were apparently not close to mainstream, and I never saw one.
Anyone else out there?

btw, after getting burned about 20 years ago on some red 50/50's white print turning pink more than a week later, I have avoided them like the plague. The designation of Low Bleed kinda' gives the ink people an out, and extremely bleed resistant whites for pure poly, generally sacrifice a little printability.
On the other hand, there are folks who do very well with these, They have it down

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »
Good question on the doughnut probe.  I don't know if they do. They seem to be in (mid level quality and on the way up). They are all young in this shop. They probably would get one soon if they don't already.

You know, I'm with ya on the donut. A donut is THE BEST method for testing accurately in my opinion. You can place it in various locations and test specific spot down the dryer (while you look down to see it's location)  and you can see the temp as it goes down and how it fluctuates. Then, you get an actual reading from (right on the shirt).  Test strips have a (wider window) and Guns can't be as accurate due to the distance thing.  Sometimes your dryer says 325 and your ink is actually at 295

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »
I don't recall ever having a bleed problem on 100% cotton.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:18:20 PM »
Two things.
1.  As to the grey Wilflex Russell Grey near Pantone 422c.
2.  Have them call me and I will gladly help in any way I can
404-895-1796
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald