Author Topic: Adherence Problem  (Read 1440 times)

Offline printguy

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
Adherence Problem
« on: December 15, 2016, 11:28:26 AM »
Heat presses a slew of nylon jackets using Siser Easyweed vinyl - left chest. Most had no issues adhering to the jackets, however some lost adhesion & peeled off. Need to know if there is something else that needs to be done that will help with adhesion. Possibly time, temperature or pressure needs to be adjusted or possibly defective vinyl material? Thoughts, please.

Offline aauusa

Re: Adherence Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:42:03 AM »
you may have a coating on the jackets which is the cause.  I would wipe the jacket with some letter off or something similar the do the vinyl.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:49:51 AM »
Regular Easyweed? Nylon requires their Easyweed Extra.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
like frog said, need to use a nylon specific vinyl.  Easyweed Extra is one, but there are a handful of other options as well.  Most of the brands have one specific to nylon.

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
gorilla grip from stahls. i do not think it will ever come off of anything. we have one customer who comes back once or twice a year to get a few jackets for new employees. his jacket has to be 6-7 years old and its beat to crap, but the lettering on the back is still perfect.

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 05:14:39 PM »
Ran into that problem a few years back and found out the jackets had a coating on them... one swipe from a rag with acetone on it removed the coating. Be very carefull with the acetone should you use it as it is extremely flamable..... and too much can melt the nylon as well.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »
You can also use rubbing alcohol.  I prefer the 91 or 94%, whatever is the highest at the store.  Works just as well.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »
gorilla grip from stahls. i do not think it will ever come off of anything. we have one customer who comes back once or twice a year to get a few jackets for new employees. his jacket has to be 6-7 years old and its beat to crap, but the lettering on the back is still perfect.

This X2
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.