Author Topic: Need ink or a process that will adhere to natural gum rubber  (Read 5319 times)

Offline doorjamm

• Verified/Junior
Need ink or a process that will adhere to natural gum rubber
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:13:51 PM »
Hello all, We're a startup company called DoorJamm...we have a product to keep secured doors and gates open.

It's made of natural gum rubber and we'd like to put some printing on it to do a few things for us. I've been unable to locate inks that will adhere to the natural gum rubber surface.

The printing will also need to do a few things:
 1. Stay on the rubber product without peeling and still allow it to be stretched and wrapped around doors/gates.
 2. Withstand physical abuse while placed on doors/gates, stored in pockets and all types of weather.

Thanks for your time and attention, I appreciate it!

Offline Crazy Mike

• !!!
Re: Need ink or a process that will adhere to natural gum rubber
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 05:32:01 PM »
What about laser engraving?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »
Well, my first suggestion would be to check with Nazdar, one of our longest running sponsors. They have inks for a lot of substrates.
https://www.nazdar.com/en-us/SCREEN-INKS

If they can't help, ask these folks about their 800 series
http://www.unionprocess.com/inks.html
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline doorjamm

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 05:36:48 PM »
Thank you... I wrote to NAZDAR earlier today, waiting for their reply. Union Process already said they don't have anything in their lineup that will adhere.

Offline doorjamm

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 05:58:50 PM »
Crazy Mike, that's something I'm checking into also... The material is 1/16" thick and approx 40 durometer. Do you have any experience with engraving?

Offline Crazy Mike

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »
We don't use a laser but I know you can laser a design on t-shirts among thousands of other items.
Also I think I have seen where you can use a laser to make rubber stamps.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »
Perhaps similar as to how they imprint silicone wristbands

Offline doorjamm

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 07:36:19 PM »
Perhaps similar as to how they imprint silicone wristbands

Hi Frog, thanks for your replies! Yes, I'm interested in that approach, as long as the process doesn't make it prone to tearing.

The quest continues on laser forums too...  ;)

Most screen print shops scratch their heads when it comes to printing on the natural gum rubber...

I did a trial with StazOn solvent based ink pad (the kind found in craft stores for stamping) and the ink rubs off...

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 08:36:44 PM »
Well, the imprinting on silicone wristbands is essentially engraving, no added color as far as I know. (except ewhen thy cut through layered colored material.

As for screen printing, no, nothing from a craft store is going to work, hence the two industrial ink suggestions I posted. Nazdar may have a solvent based suggestion with some "bite". They will even test on your material if needed.
Union Process 800 rubber ink is made for adhesion to latex, probably more like balloons. Let's see of our resident balloon printer chimes in.

Online TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 08:52:07 PM »
My thought would be depending on the qty. product size/shape, pad printing may be the way to go also.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »
If it's a flat surface look at screenprinting with a 2 part padprinting rubber ink with some retarder added to make it screenable. I do pucks all the time.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline doorjamm

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 11:29:40 PM »
If it's a flat surface look at screenprinting with a 2 part padprinting rubber ink with some retarder added to make it screenable. I do pucks all the time.

Thanks for all the tips so far! I know NOTHING about inks or printing, so when I read the replies about mixing this and that, I really don't even know how to decipher. :o However, I know a solution will make itself known if I keep asking the right people.

The product is essentially a flat, wide natural gum rubber strip (3" x 10") with a couple holes on either end of it.

the URL for my site is in my profile, but for convenience for those who wish to see the product and pictures of the practical applications, please see the pictures on http://www.instagram.com/doorjamm

Offline doorjamm

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 11:35:10 PM »
As for screen printing, no, nothing from a craft store is going to work, hence the two industrial ink suggestions I posted. Nazdar may have a solvent based suggestion with some "bite". They will even test on your material if needed.
Union Process 800 rubber ink is made for adhesion to latex, probably more like balloons. Let's see of our resident balloon printer chimes in.

Thanks Frog, I asked Union Process directly about their inks for rubber, and explained my requirements...and specifically they told me their inks won't adhere to this type of rubber. You're right, their stuff is made for other types, like latex.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 10:43:34 AM »
  I also have screen printed with pad printing ink if it is slightly reduced...
http://www.inkcups.com/printing-inks/screen-pad-printing-ink/sb/Default.aspx
This will stick to some products that NO other ink will adhere to.

Offline doorjamm

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »
  I also have screen printed with pad printing ink if it is slightly reduced...
http://www.inkcups.com/printing-inks/screen-pad-printing-ink/sb/Default.aspx
This will stick to some products that NO other ink will adhere to.

Thank you Doug... I had already sent my product to InkCups for adhesion testing... got their results today: "Our test results failed.  I do not have an ink that will work on your product.  Sorry about that. I was hoping our SB would work but it failed miserably."

Also, NAZDAR replied too: "We do not have anything for printing on this type of material. You may want to contact Union Process for information..."

...and Union Process already told me: "I am sorry to say that our ink will not adhere to your gum rubber."

I mean no disrespect to InkCups, NAZDAR, Union Process at all by mentioning them in these posts...it's simply incompatibility with the material...

...and I consulted a laser engraver operator who told me: "It would burn/melt the rubber making it weaker and I don't think would be very legible."

So....with that, I am open to any other creative or unorthodox solutions and ideas.