Author Topic: Need ink or a process that will adhere to natural gum rubber  (Read 5307 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Need ink or a process that will adhere to natural gum rubber
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 04:57:36 PM »
So, here comes a question, how do you rank the need to decorate these with the choice of material? Are there other rubbers or synthetics that would do the same job yet allow decoration?
for instance, I know that they print on some of the wide rubber bands used for broccoli and other produce.

btw, shirt printers, especially those who accept goods from clients often have to hold brief seminars on compatibility issues. I often mention that they, perhaps, should have checked with me before buying what they did.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline doorjamm

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 05:04:55 PM »
So, here comes a question, how do you rank the need to decorate these with the choice of material? Are there other rubbers or synthetics that would do the same job yet allow decoration?
for instance, I know that they print on some of the wide rubber bands used for broccoli and other produce.

btw, shirt printers, especially those who accept goods from clients often have to hold brief seminars on compatibility issues. I often mention that they, perhaps, should have checked with me before buying what they did.

Yep, you've got me cornered now Frog...HAHAH. I decided on this material based on price point...given it was my first run, I went "quick and fast" model of prototyping with the (WAIT for itttttt) assumption  ;D ;D ;D that I'd be able to print on it later on.

So, yes, I'm realizing I may just need to research other materials that will offer the same physical characteristics and be printed, engraved or molded.

And I've reached to custom imprinted rubber band companies to see what solutions they might have.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:12:57 PM by doorjamm »

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »
Another question, just for considering possibilities: If you stick with this material, could your manufacturing process include molding your emblem into the items during production, rather than printing/engraving/applying after the fact?
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline doorjamm

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 05:11:29 PM »
Another question, just for considering possibilities: If you stick with this material, could your manufacturing process include molding your emblem into the items during production, rather than printing/engraving/applying after the fact?

Thanks Prince, I asked that during the production discussions...the rubber company I worked with uses stock sheet rubber rolls (approx 100 feet long), which they are not capable of customizing from their source.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 05:36:18 PM »
Where is our resident balloon printer, he should have something that works.

try these guys:

http://www.dischem.com/inks.php
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline doorjamm

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 05:54:13 PM »
Where is our resident balloon printer, he should have something that works.

try these guys:

http://www.dischem.com/inks.php

Thanks Inkworks! Email sent moments ago...

Offline doorjamm

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »
Hello all, so I bit the bullet and decided to change materials. One great substitute for me is black neoprene sheet rubber. Anyone have experience printing on that?

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 01:54:03 PM »
Hello all, so I bit the bullet and decided to change materials. One great substitute for me is black neoprene sheet rubber. Anyone have experience printing on that?

ohh your rolling now, all of us can print that all day long. no problem.

on the other material, I was going to mention a branding iron. Most metal shops could make one for you.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
Sorry I'm late. I don't come on the board until I have enough work done to justify some fun time. I use dischem ink (saw a link earlier) for all my latex balloons. we tried a few other companies but I always come back to dischem. They are a great company and their ink is the best for what I do.
Good luck.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?