Author Topic: Roland GS24 v. Graphtec CE6000  (Read 1578 times)

Offline 1964GN

Roland GS24 v. Graphtec CE6000
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:43:33 AM »
We are going to add vinyl to the mix and are looking at these 2 machines.

We are on Windows 10 and are all Adobe (no Corel).

Initially this will be used for a specific client that has a need for small runs (occasional 1 pc orders as well) of large one color prints for their Police, Fire, and EMT clients. 50k stitch sew outs and/or screen printing 3 jumpsuit backs ain't gonna happen in our shop :)

Their annual overall volume alone will pay for this machine in less than a year. In addition, we have several other clients that are interested in vinyl.

We also don't want to under buy. We currently have no interest being in the sign business so we don't think something larger that 24" is needed but we also don't want to buy a machine that we'll out grow in 6 months.

Any advice on these 2 machines regarding the ease of use, reliability, and customer service?

OR

Should we consider looking at a different brand all together?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:13:34 AM by 1964GN »

Offline Croft

Re: Roland GX24 v. Graphtec CE6000
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:18 AM »
I have had 2 roland gx 24 in 16+ years and use pretty regularly. Have always worked for me .I use mainly now for cutting jersey names , single designs and the odd sign job. For me the names alone would pay for the machine in a couple of months.
I use a mac with Illustrator and cut directly from Illustrator using there "cut studio" plugin.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: Roland GS24 v. Graphtec CE6000
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »
I did the same thing 4 years ago.
Did an extensive research and decided to go with Graphtec.
Summa looked like the best and the most reliable brand, but they are just too expensive for what I needed it.

Ended up selling my 24" CE5000 and buying FC8600-130 in less than a year. (Bought solvent printer and got a lot of vinyl work).

In my research, Grapgtec looked better than Roland (Unless you go with better Roland cutters, I believe Camm 1 or something like that).

Good luck

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:34:53 AM »
We had a Graphtec 15" and liked it.  But always saw everyone fawning over the Roland.  So I found a used 24" and jumped on it.

We HATED it!!!  The workflow was just dumb.  Graphtec, you take your lines in Illustrator and you cut them in the Graphtec Plug-in... Roland you need to detect edges and such... no fun.

Wife said, get me a Graphtec or put my old cutter back, I'm not using this.

We bought a 24" Graphtec and sold the Roland.

MAYBE, the Roland got better, but that was only a couple of years ago and we just couldn't believe that was the way the workflow was... even contacted Josh from Stahls to see if we were just not seeing something. :(

Take that how you want, I'm sure plenty others have no issues with Roland, obviously.  Graphtec has been simple for us.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »
I run a Roland GX-24.  No issues. Software is simple. Driver downloads are easy. I had to set it up on the lap top yesterday and was up and running fast. The only issue I had was finding the right spot for starting images and not wasting too much in the from of the design.  Custom s more detailed that I had first thought.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »
to speak to Roland quality, we've been running a '94 Camm 1, 24 inch since we bought it in '94...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline shirtz

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:34:39 PM »
We own both. The Graphtec wins hands down.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
Just started using a Roland 24 inch.  Software/plugins kind of suck.  Not very intuitive vs the Graphtec (though I have only briefly messed with one, it seemed straightforward and exactly like what you should/would expect).

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 08:40:37 PM »
we have a Roland 24 about $1800.00 delivered I am areal computer idiot, Corel and that is about it.
had absolutely no issues with the Roland, can't speak about the graphtek but not sorry I bought the Roland.
seems pretty simple to a simpleton like me.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.