Author Topic: Black Glitter  (Read 2317 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Black Glitter
« on: January 19, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »
We print tons of glitter and have it pretty well down but trying to get a black glitter is stumping me.
We have Meadowbrook .008 hex mixed into Wilflex Nova base at %30. It prints fine but looks more like
Rhino-liner than glitter.

We put a black "base" under it, a little better but still not great.

We upped the glitter to %40 or so and it's more like pumice than ink and won't print.

I swear I've seen black glitter before and it was glittery.

????

We've done black shimmer and that looks great. Might try and push it.
Which leads me to another question. Is shimmer just smaller particle glitter in a similar base?
I think it is.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Black Glitter
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »
You need to have it actually sit on top of the ink - Like doing sugar glitter (clear glitter) or using a base that "recedes" from the ink - this allows the particle to poke out from the plastisol.

Otherwise, as you have noticed, you get almost zero reflection. The glitter flake needs to have the light hit it directly.

Yes, shimmer is a much smaller flake.

OR...

Go with waterbase..... sooooooo frikin sparkly.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »
You need to have it actually sit on top of the ink - Like doing sugar glitter (clear glitter) or using a base that "recedes" from the ink - this allows the particle to poke out from the plastisol.

Otherwise, as you have noticed, you get almost zero reflection. The glitter flake needs to have the light hit it directly.

Yes, shimmer is a much smaller flake.

OR...

Go with waterbase..... sooooooo frikin sparkly.

Thanks for the response.

Yep we've got that down, the Nova dives in the fabric on cure. All other colors look great, just not black.

As far as wb goes I'm assuming same deal of mix your own just a different base? Is there a preferred one?

I see Matsui makes one, might give it a whirl.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 12:20:36 PM »
Try Union

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 12:27:02 PM »
Try Union

For a premix black or a wb binder?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:33:58 PM »
They have a kickass gold and silver wb glitter which may be tinted.............should be a glitter WB Base

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »
Union has a ready made black shimmer plasti, they might have a black glitter if ya ask.  I like their rfu glitters.  Stocking glitter particles loose sounds like trouble around here.

Colin why are the wb/hsa glitters so much more sparkly?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
In looking at Meadowbrook's color chart the black glitter isn't actually very glittery. So we may not be doing anything wrong
to begin with.

Gonna try clear poly glitter over a black base.

Stocking glitter particles loose sounds like trouble around here.

Oddly the mixing area is fine but you should see the floor around the last head of our machines.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »
If I work with glitter flakes, I make sure to tell my wife I was printing glitter, THE MINUTE I WALK IN THE DOOR.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 07:51:40 PM »
There is stripper glitter and crystalinas/glitters etc for fabric applications. These distinguishes should be firmly established in any relationship be it personal or professional or both

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 11:59:11 PM »
Union has a ready made black shimmer plasti, they might have a black glitter if ya ask.  I like their rfu glitters.  Stocking glitter particles loose sounds like trouble around here.

Colin why are the wb/hsa glitters so much more sparkly?

The base is much more optically clear - it essentially disappears.  Giving the flake the appearance and the reflection qualities - of being on top of an ink deposit.  But with a suuuper soft hand.

Reminder, waterbase is 70%-80% water.  HSA is around 50%.... Plastisol is a 100% system.  There is no evaporation or burn off.  So, whatever deposit you make with plastisol stays there.  You loose 50% or more of your deposit with waterbase systems.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 07:08:30 AM »
Correct of course.........I prefer the WB glitters/shimmers for these very reasons. Soft and shiny wins the prize