Author Topic: DIY Projector Style Exposure Unit  (Read 3766 times)

Offline caseycityhall

• Verified/Junior
  • Hi my name is Casey. I run a screen printing blog
DIY Projector Style Exposure Unit
« on: January 25, 2017, 06:08:45 PM »
I had been wanting to attempt a vertical projector style exposure unit for a while so that I wouldnt use up a bunch of floor space and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Only about $50 in supplies with not a lot of materials. I made a video so you can check out how to do it yourself.

https://youtu.be/jf3NjlN5peU

https://youtu.be/jf3NjlN5peU

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: DIY Projector Style Exposure Unit
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 06:31:43 PM »
Let me begin by apologizing for probably sounding like a jerk, but I need to point out, that for as long as I have been around the industry, so have actual projector type exposure units. Projectors that magnify and project the image directly on a screen with no glass or vacuum, (a feature enjoyed by those with CTS as well).
The advantage is a variety of sizes can be projected from one small positive.
It requires a faster emulsion, like QPX from Ulano.
So, cool idea of yours, but bad name or description.

Also, I may suggest that you could get much faster times and save even more money with your space bag for most of the year using the sun.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:36:00 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:22:47 AM »
Well, necessity is the mother of invention.  Nice thinking outside the box.

I do wish years ago when I was using the weights and 500 watt bulb that I had known about the vacuum bag. 

That is a nice touch and would have cut out the steel weights and glass sheet.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »
To join Andy in jerkdom, that's just not a projected image, which is what projection exposure means. It's just a light source and a vacuum bag, nothing to do with projection, except maybe projecting light, like what the sun does... I'd change the title to "inexpensive DIY screen exposing"... a good idea for the very beginners on a shoe-string budget though...

Steve

I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:13:55 PM »
Or......"Expose on the Side"?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
Well Casey I think you did an excellent job at explaining everything and laying out the details for your DIY exposure light. As a matter of fact I will go out on a limb and be an "Un-Jerk" and give you 2 thumbs up on this project. I'm sure that your target audience is not a bunch of grey haired screen printers that have been around since the beginning of "Silk Screening". I like the fact that you are a young guy probably without a lot of resources or cash that was able to figure out a way to accomplish a task that could possibly cost in the hundreds or thousands of dollars. What I gathered from your video is that a beginner could start with something like this, make a bunch of money and then buy better equipment.... a good strategy for any business person young or old. So CONGRATS Casey and thanks for posting.... and don't be afraid to keep on posting your ideas. Plus don't forget that a little criticism is always helpfull, especially if it is constructive. LarryK

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »
I'm sure that your target audience is not a bunch of grey haired screen printers that have been around since the beginning of "Silk Screening".
With all due respect, this old gray haired silk screener merely pointed out a problem with this project's chosen name as there is no more "projection" with this unit than a light mounted underneath the glass, or mounted above the glass. Even professionally made light head units like Olecs that "project" light horizontally towards a wall mounted vacuum frame are not "Projector Style Exposure Units". Perhaps, on other forums, or Facebook groups, which target showstring newbies, this mistake would go unnoticed and unmentioned. The OP's target audience is also probably finding his video places other than here, and the few newbies that did find it here now have one leg up over their counterpart competition with the additional information posted.
Like it or not, with the collective experience represented here on this particular forum, and to serve our segment of the industry at the level to which we are expected, we at The Shirt Board occasionally feel the need to politely point out inaccuracies, and not just sluff them off as "alternative facts".

Offline caseycityhall

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »
Thank you very much all of you. For both the praise and the criticism. Yeah like you said my target audience is not going to be veterans because I am defnitely not one. My background in screenprinting started with being a graphic designer at a print shop without ever having to print myself. So really I'm trying to learn as much as I can while passing that knowledge to people who might be at the same level. I'm hoping that takes some of the intimidation factor out of it.

You guys are right about the "projector style" title. No jerkdom there at all. Now that you guys point it out, I'm realizing its really not a projector. I had been hunting down the name for this style of exposure unit because I know that there are professional units that are similar (but waaaay better). I actually did not realize there is an exposure system that ACTUALLY projects your image onto the screen while burning. That is something I had never seen but sounds awesome.

But seriously please never apologize for any criticism you give me. It only helps me to improve and I'm really grateful. You guys have given me a wealth of knowledge while I lurked over the years so thank you so much!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:16:49 PM by caseycityhall »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »
Thank you very much all of you. For both the praise and the criticism. Yeah like you said my target audience is not going to be veterans because I am defnitely not one. My background in screenprinting started with being a graphic designer at a print shop without ever having to print myself. So really I'm trying to learn as much as I can while passing that knowledge to people who might be at the same level. I'm hoping that takes some of the intimidation factor out of it.

You guys are right about the "projector style" title. No jerkdom there at all. Now that you guys point it out, I'm realizing its really not a projector. I had been hunting down the name for this style of exposure unit because I know that there are professional units that are similar (but waaaay better). I actually did not realize there is an exposure system that ACTUALLY projects your image onto the screen while burning. That is seriously something I had never seen but sounds awesome.

But seriously please never apologize for any criticism you give me. It only helps me to improve and I'm really grateful. You guys have given me a wealth of knowledge while I lurked over the years so thank you so much!

Just call it The Horizontal Shoestring.  ;D
btw, if your ceiling mount included adjustable distance, this unit could be used for different sized screens, similarly to the separate head units on wheeled bases on the floor. These are typically positioned on painted lines predetermined to be correct for the common differently sized frames in use. Of course, with a worklight, exposure times from much further away could get quite long.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 01:41:42 PM »
Casey, this is the nicest group of folks, even us really old guys on Medicare. Ask anything, any time, and you will get help, or of course, help somebody else yourself. Welcome aboard...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline caseycityhall

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »
Just call it The Horizontal Shoestring.  ;D
btw, if your ceiling mount included adjustable distance, this unit could be used for different sized screens, similarly to the separate head units on wheeled bases on the floor. These are typically positioned on painted lines predetermined to be correct for the common differently sized frames in use. Of course, with a worklight, exposure times from much further away could get quite long.

That actually might be a cool modification. Putting it on a track or something that can move back and forth. I want to be able to upgrade the halogen to something better someday too.