Author Topic: 4 Color process with white base  (Read 4211 times)

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
4 Color process with white base
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »
Im looking to print this image on a athletic heather grey shirt, I am going to use a based down white plastisol base, with CMYK on top.
I have read that some of you guys have had very good results with printing on a plastisol base.  Im wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on what to keep an eye out for?
Id do a discharge UB, but it being athletic heather, I know it wouldn't discharge much.

Could I do just a regular waterbase white, with waterbase CMYK on top?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: 4 Color process with white base
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 09:48:15 AM »
I for one would have 2 whites, a base and a highlight...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »
Too many colors out of gamut for exact match. 12 screen sim pro would yield best results

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 10:08:51 AM »
I for one would have 2 whites, a base and a highlight...

Steve
Ill be sure to do that.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »
Too many colors out of gamut for exact match. 12 screen sim pro would yield best results
this is for 25 shirts.  Had this been 100 plus, I would be calling one of you guys.. ;)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »
Once you do the print post a pic and lets see how close it came out, I will say that triple blend cmyk inks might help on getting a pop in the colors, I got some from Kev at Rivercity Supply.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 10:50:16 AM »
this is for 25 shirts.  Had this been 100 plus, I would be calling one of you guys.. ;)

25 shirts?
Six screens?
Time to adjust sep plates?

Isn't this where digital printing shines?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »

25 shirts?
Six screens?

mad props for trying to do this the way you are. we'd be forced to throw up our hands and say hell no (nicely) and recommend a shop with DTG skillz.
love to see how this turns out and how much effort it takes in the meantime.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »

25 shirts?
Six screens?

Yes

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »

25 shirts?
Six screens?

Yes! 100%
But the way this year has started for me, I figured why not try, and if I can make it work, I can use what I learn to adjust for future jobs.  I know its a pain, but I always like to keep learning, and pushing my skills as a printer. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »

25 shirts?
Six screens?

Yes! 100%
But the way this year has started for me, I figured why not try, and if I can make it work, I can use what I learn to adjust for future jobs.  I know its a pain, but I always like to keep learning, and pushing my skills as a printer.

Yes, you will learn much, but one of things you'll learn is not to do it again because you can't possibly charge enough. You could do that without the job, testing at night or on a weekend, your "R&D" time. I would recommend DTG as well...

Steve

Steve

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 01:06:36 PM »
Just out of curiousity, what would you guys charge out the door for this, if someone wanted 25 qty 4 color process, with a white base, and a white top, to make it worth your time?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 01:32:50 PM »
25 shirts?
Six screens?

Brings up a question of how DTG handles out of gamut colors? IE neons etc.

Just out of curiousity, what would you guys charge out the door for this, if someone wanted 25 qty 4 color process, with a white base, and a white top, to make it worth your time?

We wouldn't. 4CP is enough of a beast on it's own and adding a base and white into the mix makes for very specialized seps and printing
that you couldn't charge enough for 25 pieces to make it worthwhile, unfortunately.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »
Love process, and have done a bit of UB/HL 4CP work.  This screams 'time pit' to me.
You'll lose saturation, and those bright(er) reds and purples are going to mud up a bit at the least.
That detail in the ribbon is definitely a HL white thing.

I don't think you can honestly charge for your time and keep a customer happy at the same time on this type of job @ 25pcs.
Had it been less saturation, more neutrals with no color shift concerns, etc. maybe, but I don't see that image as 'easy'.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
We wouldn't take it either, unless we could send it out to DTG, it's only 25 shirts. One last thought though, CAD Printz transfers from Stahl's would look very good, though it's a sheet of plastic on a shirt. They are great for small images, but big ones take me back to the early '80's bulletproof, though not quite as bad as that...

Steve