Author Topic: Kornit vs brother per print cost?  (Read 6878 times)

Offline shirtshack

• Verified/Junior
Kornit vs brother per print cost?
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:52:45 AM »
I have 4 brother machines 2 x gt381 and 2 x 541, and we are now at a level where I believe ink cost is an issue 3-5k per month. I was always lead to believe per print cost on a kornit ( in this case the storm hexa) is a fraction of the price but after research and a visit to the dealer I cannot find any information that can confirm this.
I need the savings in ink cost to cover the lease on a new storm or I would be better off with my brothers.
The Kornit was impressive when it came to print quality, and the in built pre treat  is a real time saver but speed was way below the 85 darks per hour listed, on the samples we did  I would estimate it's only twice as fast as a 381 which can achieve 20 darks per hour, I calculated the hexa could do 45 prints per hour.

Any body found similar or conflicting views?

Offline BorisB

Re: Kornit vs brother per print cost?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:21:19 AM »
on average 40 darks per hour on Kornit Storm II

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
You should read this thread: http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,16601.0.html it compared an M-Link to a Brother, very detailed. That will at least give you a picture of something else.

I run Epson modified printers and my ink consumption is more on par with the M-Link, slightly more.

I would never get a Kornit. While the inline pretreat seems nice, what if something breaks? You are out of luck printing. I personally like redundancy better. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Offline shirtshack

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:35:46 PM »
I agree with the redundancy factor, for the cost of equipment multiple brother machines can outpace and take up less space than a  Kornit, looking in comparison to the m link it would seem brother has the more expensive per print cost so has anyone compared the M link to a Kornit?
I was amazed to find out the kornit does not give the info on how many cc's of ink used in a print on the machine itself, apparently the dealer has to use a separate bit of software and will let me know what my print samples actually cost.
With the brother it's simple, the cc's used show on the machines lcd screen and on the rip file, we calculate the per cc ink cost (around 35p a cc) add 50p for pretreat and get an approx per print cost. The Kornit ink may cost less per cc but it could be using more cc of ink due to its wet on wet print method.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:03:25 PM »
On the M Link the actual cost per print is displayed after the file is ripped and before pront
Rich Hoffman

Offline shirtshack

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:15:43 AM »
I will pay a visit to Dave roper (uk) and get him to run some samples for me, is the link as cheap as a kornit when it comes to per print cost?
Curing time is also a factor, we originally went with brother  3 years ago due to the 35sec cure using a heat press but nowadays we use a 4 meter Tasoma drylight belt speed set for 3 minutes dwell time, the kornit requires 8 minutes in the dryer.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:20:50 AM »
I will pay a visit to Dave roper (uk) and get him to run some samples for me, is the link as cheap as a kornit when it comes to per print cost?
Curing time is also a factor, we originally went with brother  3 years ago due to the 35sec cure using a heat press but nowadays we use a 4 meter Tasoma drylight belt speed set for 3 minutes dwell time, the kornit requires 8 minutes in the dryer.
ink cost on a typical white shirt is on average .24 U.S. Black shirt with average white underbase .60. Cure time I can't say for your dryer. Ours is about 5 minutes.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Steve Harpold

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:00:36 AM »
Quick questions: (And a curing comment)

MLINK - Is there a open API? XML? What file type does the MLINK require for printing?

Curing - The Fire Fly system will cure the MLINK prints in under 3:00 minutes. It will also allow for tri-blends, 50%50% garments. Kornit - 4:00 - 6:00
Brother - 1:45 - 2:45

I think that is all the machines listed in this thread .

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
I would seriously look at the MlinkX if I was you.

It will run circles around those 381's in speed and ink savings.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline TCred

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
the kornit requires 8 minutes in the dryer.

We run a Kornit Breeze and a ROQ dryer set to 150 degrees C, and 6 minutes.

Prints with no white underbase go through once, those with white underbase go through twice.

Offline BorisB

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »
Quick questions: (And a curing comment)

MLINK - Is there a open API? XML? What file type does the MLINK require for printing?

Curing - The Fire Fly system will cure the MLINK prints in under 3:00 minutes. It will also allow for tri-blends, 50%50% garments. Kornit - 4:00 - 6:00
Brother - 1:45 - 2:45

I think that is all the machines listed in this thread .
Steve, why are you asking for API? Connecting the printer to your dryers?

Offline Steve Harpold

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 04:28:23 PM »
Hey,

Yes the connection to the dryers is helpful when handling all the different media types.  We also are working with complete production solutions. The MLINK has shown up twice with current clients.

Offline shirtshack

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 08:24:37 PM »
I was meaning to ask if the Fire Fly is available in the UK and through which dealer. The other issue is Amp draw, most industrial units in the UK are 100amp, I am already going to be taking that to the max with 5 flash units, I can of course get it increased but that would be expensive.

Offline Steve Harpold

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 08:59:13 PM »
The Fire Fly technology is very significant in the US market, however it was built for the world market as energy cost and real estate can be as much as 10 times the US market. It also provides a carbon free foot print.

Your power of 100 amps, what is the voltage and phase?

Also how many DTG printers are you tying to support. What type of printer? The other post of the shiny objects refers to the same concept. If you can limit not the use of a heat press you limit the shiny effects your are experiencing.

Thanks

Offline shirtshack

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 03:16:30 AM »
410v 3 phase, doubt it would like 240v single phase.
At the moment 4 brother machines, but looking to either add the new brother when released, maybe the m link or possibly the Kornit storm  hexa, probably in total 20 to 60 prints per hour mostly darks.
Your last comment looks like you suggest not using a heat press for pretreat, but brother States in the brother cook book not to use a coveor dryer for pretreat, something to do with the heat from the press allowing the pretreat to raise to the surface of the shirt rather than drying it within the fibres.