Author Topic: DTG on camo?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
DTG on camo?
« on: February 15, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
Have a client that wants basically a rainbow on camo shirts. Dtg might make the most sense for the art, but I'm worried about dye migration issues and I've read some camo shirts are treated in a way that can cause ink adhesion issues. Anyone know of a brand of camo shirts that would work for dtg?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:14:20 AM by mimosatexas »

Offline JeridHill

• Verified/Junior
Re: DTG on camo?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:30:01 AM »
In all reality, I haven't found a camo shirt yet that doesn't have this issue. I've tried different inks and pretreatments, and they all seem to discolor according to the camo pattern. I am testing new inks now that might have the possibility of solving this issue, but I'd have to ink up a printer and test.

Do you have a printer currently and if so, what model?

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
Never tried it but there is an Anvil 989 and LAT 3980 that say 100% ringspun cotton so it might work.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:47:34 AM »
the dyes tend to react funny to the pretreat.  Firebird pretreat did it the least, but it still happened a bit.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 01:58:21 PM »
great info.  So it turns out the client wants to do 400+ shirts anyway, so screenprinting is looking likely.  This one is definitely going to need to be contracted out. 

What would contract pricing be (roughly) for a job like this?  Assume 400 shirts.  Full Back would need some kind of barrier base for the camo, cmyk to hit all the rainbow colors the cheapest I think, and needing a top white and maybe a spot orange from the looks of the art.  Front Left Chest could be 3/4/5 color front: barrier base, top white (maybe not needed), black, orange, peach (could be made with the orange easily). 

Edit:  I can post in member to member instead since this is getting off topic a bit.

Offline JeridHill

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 02:05:09 PM »
Yeah this would be more suited in this section:

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/board,75.0.html

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 02:34:54 PM »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline JeridHill

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 02:51:20 PM »
Thanks!