Author Topic: Epic Rio Mixing System Question  (Read 2211 times)

Offline XG Print

Epic Rio Mixing System Question
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:22:01 PM »
I may pull the trigger on the starter kit of the Rio system here pretty quick.  I was wondering if you guys that have been using it are still happy and do you recommend the Epic Amazing base with this or could I get away with using the Synergy NextGen Base?  We have never been a shop that mixes a lot of PMS color matches but we are starting to get the request more and more and I would rather have the ability to mix in house rather than pay my ink supplier to mix a quart or gallon of a certain color.  Thanks for the help as always!!!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Epic Rio Mixing System Question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »
Rio is a finished ink system.

No need for a base of any kind.

Unless you want to thin out your inks....
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
Perhaps you meant Equalizer system?

We use the Amazing base for that, we are happy with those inks.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:25:09 PM »
OK..Should have read up a little more on the Rio.  Anyone using it?  Happy with opacity?  How is it wet on wet on runs of 500 plus?  Thanks

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:32:16 PM »
Switched to Rio 2 months ago, outstanding product prints much nicer than Rutland C3 IMO.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »
which base were you using with the C3 though?  Which formulas were you mixing?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »
which base were you using with the C3 though?  Which formulas were you mixing?

Rutland Super Opaque base, basic PMS colors, as we do not do any specialty ink printing the Rio system is a good fit for us, local distributor, easy to mix and so far very accurate recopies.
Robert
allpremiums.com

Offline Jwcontractscreen

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »
Rio is north of 80.00 per gallon. PC is 50.00 or less. How much ink do you mix? On a 5000 piece run that uses 1.5 gal of ink, the costs are significant for not much difference. I just don't see the value in Rio

Wilflex did ship me a test kit before it went to market. It makes good ink, just way too expensive for our daily needs.
Contract screen printing in Northern Kentucky
www.jwcontractscreen.com

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »
Rio is north of 80.00 per gallon. PC is 50.00 or less. How much ink do you mix? On a 5000 piece run that uses 1.5 gal of ink, the costs are significant for not much difference. I just don't see the value in Rio

Wilflex did ship me a test kit before it went to market. It makes good ink, just way too expensive for our daily needs.

That's $0.006 per shirt which is absolutely insignificant in my market, plus I get a healthy discount off MSRP as most of my supplies come from this distributor. The time we have been using Rio the accuracy of formula, opaqueness of ink and ease of wet on wet application out weighs the price difference... but again that is for my shop
Robert
allpremiums.com

Offline XG Print

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 08:12:12 AM »

Hmmm...I need to check with my rep.. The on line prices looked to be very similar.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »
Populate your RIO color pricing into the IMS 3.0, then you can see exactly what your cost is for the Pantone matches. That is what is important.

Any of the systems can have huge variances depending upon the components used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com