Author Topic: Newman high tension....or MUrakami lower.more open mesh?  (Read 4112 times)

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
Re: Newman high tension....or MUrakami lower.more open mesh?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 08:55:11 AM »
+1 on the thin thread. We use 150/48 & 225/40 for most everything that involves spot color. We were using 350/30 for sim process, but found that we couldn't keep them around for too long. Likely mishandling on our part. We switched to 305/34 from sefar and they have been working really well for us. 305/34 only has 5% less open area than the 350S. If you're trying to hold super small dots, I'm sure the 350S has its place. Switching to S-Mesh has been one of the best moves we have made. Fewer mesh counts to track, better ink deposit, less printer fatigue on the manual. On our less than perfectly calibrated Gauntlet (circa 89) ink clears much easier than standard mesh, which allows us to dial back the depth / pressure so we can minimize the infamous pallet deflection issue. Treat the mesh right and they'll last. We did the high tension thing for a while, too much maintenance and not enough payoff in my opinion. S Mesh for the win!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 09:19:11 AM »
We tried the roller mesh and super high tension printing for a few years and it works well if you can pull it off.  But unfortunately you need a press that is calibrated to a very high tolerance and it also needs to stay there.  The RPM held it's calibration until my press op started spinning the press around by pushing down on a pallet corner and ruined our pallet parallelism and therefore ruined our ability to get the most out of the roller mesh.  It's very tough, but you can't print very fast, and the deposits tend to be really thick.

I know I've said this before but there really is no reason why every textile shop that uses plastisol ink shouldn't be using Thin Thread mesh exclusively.  The benefits are simply too great and they outperform their standard thread counterparts by such a large margin that it is my opinion that any shop not using thin thread is doing a disservice to their business.  I hope nobody takes that personally, but I honestly feel that way.  Increase opacity, increase press speeds, use less ink, increase efficiency, produce higher quality prints in a shorter amount of time, etc, and the only negative can be negated if you have guys that care about handling the screens.  A thin thread screen will last millions of cycles if properly handled.  The most durable of the thin threads is the 180/48, followed by the 225/40.  135s are delicate, 150s can be delicate, 120/54 hold up well, 100/55 can be tough to take care of but not impossible, 90/71 are pretty hard to bust.  The high mesh options, 310/30 and 330/30 are the only ones that I couldn't keep around, seems like they blew out just by looking at them wrong.  However, we were using those on the Shurloc EZ frames and I haven't put those counts on a newman roller frame so I probably should try that soon. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline willy35

• www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 09:40:26 AM »
I first use newman roller frame in 2008 when their mesh was produced by saati.

I had no information about the thread diameter, only open area.

In my opinion the open area was optimistic from what I saw printing on the field.

Then I was fed up with the poor supplier support, and start buying other mesh, honestly who need the 40N tension ??

I used sefar mainly PET 1500 is good, and if you want to go high in tension have a look to PME range as well this is fantastic mesh.

Now I use chineese mesh, best for me is and it is very very very cheap and very good for the job. (Hanze Ltd)

Last I love roller frame
www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
San Gen Shugi - real place (Gen-ba), real part (Gen-butsu), reality (Gen-jitsu)