Author Topic: Epson T3270 Film and Dye sub  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Epson T3270 Film and Dye sub
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:09:28 AM »
I am thinking of getting a Epson T3270 printer.
It has 5 colors, I want to print film through one of the black heads and CYMK dye sublimation through the other 4.
Has anyone done this or know anything about it?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Epson T3270 Film and Dye sub
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:00:39 AM »
We print our films with this, using AccuRIP Black Pearl. If you use the Photo Black from Epson, it's pigment based, so your film needs to work with pigment based ink, not dye, as I tried at first with dubious results. We have also printed a few color posters for personal use, and they are very nice. There are suppliers of this whole package, but since we already had AccuRIP in an earlier version, we bought that upgrade directly from softwareforscreenprinters.com for $149.00. If you buy the package with the printer, it's $499.00. So, we bought the printer from a photo supply company we deal with a lot, and our total package was about $2200.00 give or take a few bucks...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:25:51 PM »
We print our films with this, using AccuRIP Black Pearl. If you use the Photo Black from Epson, it's pigment based, so your film needs to work with pigment based ink, not dye, as I tried at first with dubious results. We have also printed a few color posters for personal use, and they are very nice. There are suppliers of this whole package, but since we already had AccuRIP in an earlier version, we bought that upgrade directly from softwareforscreenprinters.com for $149.00. If you buy the package with the printer, it's $499.00. So, we bought the printer from a photo supply company we deal with a lot, and our total package was about $2200.00 give or take a few bucks...

Steve

Did you end up swapping out the black ink cartridge?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
Just a note, that I have found that, at least with my printer, at my settings, pigment inks work fine for "film positives" on the frosty "waterproof" films that are the most commonly found nowadays. I suspect that really fussy printers looking for an even greater differential between d-min and d-max have still got a line on the clearer films that only work with dye based inks.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 05:07:32 PM »

Steve

Did you end up swapping out the black ink cartridge?

No, it would void the warranty on the printer, but I guess that's a personal choice...

Steve

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »
Just a note, that I have found that, at least with my printer, at my settings, pigment inks work fine for "film positives" on the frosty "waterproof" films that are the most commonly found nowadays. I suspect that really fussy printers looking for an even greater differential between d-min and d-max have still got a line on the clearer films that only work with dye based inks.

When we first got it in, we had a 14" roll of dye based ink WP, and the pigment ink just wasn't dark enough. Switched a proper film and the positives are fine for exposure. Not the darkest films I've ever seen, but since they expose just fine, it's not an issue. It's not the blackness so much as it's ability to block the UV light; in the old days, we could use Rubylith or Amberlith, neither was black but made screen just as well as a 4.0 DMax piece of film.

Steve

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:28:32 PM »
What brand ink and i use 2 black carts for that reason. In film maker it goes through a setup what is darker i pick it and if set.
Shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 08:11:05 AM »
What film are you using for the pigment ink?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »

With my pigment ink from Cobra, I use the film from Fixxons as well as film from InkJetFilm.net

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:28:21 AM by Frog »

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »

With my pigment ink from Cobra, I use the film from Fixxons as well as film from InkJetFilm.net

Memory refresher as I think it's starting to come back to me now.
Non WP film: Dye only
WP film: Pigment or DYE

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 10:28:37 AM »

Memory refresher as I think it's starting to come back to me now.
Non WP film: Dye only
WP film: Pigment or DYE

Yes, in general.
However, the last few years have seen fewer and fewer non WP films than back in the days of the venerable Epson 3000's, though many still crave the low d-min from the clear Non WP over the higher from the "frosty" WP stuff.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:44:03 PM by Frog »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 03:18:43 PM »

I got it from Garston, a lot less than what Epson wants, $55 for a 17" x 100' roll, or there about...

Steve

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 04:29:36 PM »
Who sells bulk cassettes for the T3270?
B&H have the printer for $2,300, in Europe it's more than double.
With my 4880 I use UV Blocking dye in a bulk cassette and get a good black dot.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »
Who sells bulk cassettes for the T3270?
B&H have the printer for $2,300, in Europe it's more than double.
With my 4880 I use UV Blocking dye in a bulk cassette and get a good black dot.

I've seen them advertised somewhere, but I don't want to mess with the warranty, at least not yet.

Steve

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 06:00:18 PM »
Bryan at filmdirectonline told me best to 2 blacks and 3 cleaning carts. email him at : bryan@filmdirectonline.com

He sold me a t3270 with 2 blacks and 3 cleaning a year ago and love it. Using 700 ml carts.

cadlink - FilmMaker rip.

Shane