Author Topic: Safety green vest and heat seal?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Safety green vest and heat seal?
« on: February 23, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »
Any issues with heat setting these safety construction vest?  Does the vinyl stick to that material?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: Safety green vest and heat seal?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »
I think it should. I usually just print these though.

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 07:44:41 PM »
We've done reflective vinyl on some light weight ones, I think they were Red Kap, worked out great

Offline dsh

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 06:01:51 AM »
Sublimation works well as long as you don't need white in the print.  We do these often.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 08:01:29 AM »
We've done some Cad Printz from Stahl's on them, but some have zippers that don't like heat presses very much, but with a little care, you should be fine. We only use transfers if there is a lot of color, 99% are single color black or navy.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Croft

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »
for any of the digital print cad cut on questionable poly material lately I've been using the subli. material with no problems

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
We have done these several times. Had the same concerns. We use Sister products called their tech support got some very helpful information including  that the product  can be applied at considerably lower temp on 100% polester than the published 302 degrees for tee shirts. The lower application temp would really help your temp concerns on the vests.

Our specific product was Sister easy weed the standard stuff.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline dsh

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 09:58:29 AM »
We apply sublimation @ 375 degrees and have yet to have a problem.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 10:05:27 AM »
I only worry about the reflective strips, but have never really had a problem with either heat seal or direct printing and going down the belt
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Robert Clark

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
Hi Dan ..

If you start to have adhesion problems you might have to do a two step process .. For example ..

Easyweed Extra down first press at half the required the time ..Then press your reflective vinyl on top at full press time .. This will keep it from falling off .   
Robert Clark
One Stroke Inks
Senior Account Manager
rclark@osinks.com
(800)942-4447

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
Hi Dan ..

If you start to have adhesion problems you might have to do a two step process .. For example ..

Easyweed Extra down first press at half the required the time ..Then press your reflective vinyl on top at full press time .. This will keep it from falling off .

Good advice, but Dan didn't mention needing to do reflective vinyl. Most of the jobs we get for these are merely simple black text reading something like "SECURITY", "STAFF", or "PARKING" or a simple logo.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
Thanks ALL!!!    Good info.

This particular order is for just the word SAFETY on back.  Silver High Reflective material area already in place...but I wonder, could those cause a problem once that heat setting gets put into play.  I can't avoid those.. They are vertical stripes down the back, just under the shoulders.

We don't do die sub "printing" in house and this is for 12 units. So we would do vinyl (if at all).  Could send out for the dye sub, but probably not.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
Thanks ALL!!!    Good info.

This particular order is for just the word SAFETY on back.  Silver High Reflective material area already in place...but I wonder, could those cause a problem once that heat setting gets put into play.  I can't avoid those.. They are vertical stripes down the back, just under the shoulders.

I mentioned that I worry a bit about those sometimes and I use a cardboard "masks", or strips over them just to feel a little better when pressing.
So, even though I worry a bit, and take precautions, when I brought this up in a screen printing thread years ago, about the trip down the dryer, most folks said something to the effect of