Author Topic: Making multi color plastisol transfers! What I learned today...  (Read 3076 times)

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
This will probably be a long rant, but I wanted to share what I learned today doing some experimenting.

I spent the better part of the week scouring the forum trying to learn better techniques for printing multi color transfers.  To no avail, I couldnt find what I was looking for, in finding tips on how to print 4 color transfers.

I always hate printing transfers, because I dont have a vacuum platen, and it never works for me.  The paper skews after flashes, and registration is always off.  And using more spray, makes it hard to get the paper off without ripping the sheet...Until today.

This may be old news to some, but if I was able to find this trick when I was looking this week, it would have saved me a few hours of testing.

So on to what I did...

On my auto press (this could also be done on a manual press) I put on a new piece of platen tape on the platen.  Then what I did was added a second piece of platen tape over that.  I proceeded to glue on that top piece of tape.  I did a flash on the wet adhesive (I use a combination of WB adhesive, with a mist adhesive on top of that)  use a lot of adhesive.  You dont want the transfer paper to move at all.

I proceeded to print each color, flashing between each color, with 2 hits of white as the last color.

Once you are done peel up the piece of platen tape that your transfer paper is glued to (it is acting as a carrier sheet), and apply powdered adhesive, and send it through the dryer.

Catch it right out of the dryer, and the heat from the dryer will allow you to peal the platen tape away from the transfer paper, with no tears / issues.  When this worked for me, I was stoked, and felt everyone should know if you are needing help in this department of your shop. 

Attached is a photo of the 10th paper that came off of press This image is 4" wide by 1 1/2" tall. 4 colors flashed between each color.

Thanks for reading.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Making multi color plastisol transfers! What I learned today...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 10:21:16 AM »
That reg looks tight,  great technique and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Making multi color plastisol transfers! What I learned today...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
Labor intensive - But a great looking print! 

We do a few small run jobs like that every now and then.  Definitely giving it a shot next time!
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.