Author Topic: Training artists with Lynda; Photoshop, Illustrator  (Read 1588 times)

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
Training artists with Lynda; Photoshop, Illustrator
« on: March 08, 2017, 10:39:29 AM »
Does anyone have experience using Lynda training courses? They offer hundreds of courses and thousands of videos for both Photoshop and Illustrator.

Can anyone make recommendations for material relevant for screen printers? There are 23,000 videos on Photoshop alone.

People that do seps: what are the most important tools and skills in PS for being successful?

Offline SEPSINK

Re: Training artists with Lynda; Photoshop, Illustrator
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 11:10:22 AM »
Lynda is a very helpful tool for learning adobe software. It is hard to really pinpoint a good curriculum for a color separator though. I had been working in photoshop for years before I started doing color separations. Same goes for every person I have ever hired for the position.

What has always given me a leg up in separating was my knowledge of digital photography and editing. I come across images daily that are not ideal files and I need to fix them to print well. The skills that I use to fix crappy files I learned from editing scans of old photos etc....

My best advice would be to hire someone experienced in photoshop and that has a true passion for it.
www.seps.ink Color Separations For Screen Printers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
Lynda's courses are good, but maybe not as specific. If you know what you're looking for it's great, if you don't then not so much. Great Dane Graphics has good books on both Illustrator and Photoshop, specifically for t-shirt work, I think they are a very good place to start. Then, get crackin', nothing beats experience...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:31:04 PM »
We took Scott fresners course at iss and it was helpful on learning hot to channel seps. The online class has a lot of the same material and more. I'd recommend taking it
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline starchild

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:52:09 AM »
To be proficient in color separation using Photoshop you need a fundamental understanding of the tools and how they manipulate pixels..

Procedures is secondary..

If you are going to be using Lynda courses to learn Photoshop and Illustrator then your instructor of choice is Deke McClelland..

Just focus on the courses and not color separating. Once you build up an understanding of how the tools work, when you do start looking for color separating techniques it will all make sense and everything will fall into place..
Start here deke.com

However to be good at color separating then a strong understanding of the hurdles encountered in screen printing to pull off a successful print is a good practice.. Start here..

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »
To be proficient in color separation using Photoshop you need a fundamental understanding of the tools and how they manipulate pixels..

Procedures is secondary..

If you are going to be using Lynda courses to learn Photoshop and Illustrator then your instructor of choice is Deke McClelland..

Just focus on the courses and not color separating. Once you build up an understanding of how the tools work, when you do start looking for color separating techniques it will all make sense and everything will fall into place..
Start here deke.com

However to be good at color separating then a strong understanding of the hurdles encountered in screen printing to pull off a successful print is a good practice.. Start here..

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Deke McClelland was great for learning AI, I'm in the middle of his PS tutorials. He can be a chore at times, you have to be in the mood to learn, give it a few days then come back. He makes alot of jokes and banters to himself incessantly, which can keep things interesting because you really are pouring over the functions of an intensive program tool by tool, but it also adds hours to the course if you think about it  ::)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 09:56:47 PM »
Ben @ RisingSunGraphics has some good tutorials on his blog.

http://risingsungraphics.com/blog/