Author Topic: CMYK colour values template  (Read 2565 times)

Offline docsscott

• Verified/Junior
CMYK colour values template
« on: March 10, 2017, 07:31:23 AM »
Hey guys,

Anyone made full colour artwork with swatches of increasing colour values and combinations of CMYK?
I'd like something like this to run from start to finish using our equipment and inks on both light and dark (with base) tees.
I think it would help with making educated adjustments to artwork/seps based on our screen printed results.
Do you guys have and do such thing? Or anything similar?
Too much time was spent today making adjustments at press to make colours match art.
If there's an existing template that ive missed or another method to help can someone please let me know.

Scott

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: CMYK colour values template
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 08:52:57 AM »
Why run cmyk (on a white plate and white shirts) when sim-process is easier and more accurate?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline docsscott

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »
Photographic images, also less colours... I have 7 heads max on auto (usually 6 with x2 flashes ) there are jobs we can't sep for sim pro in 6 or 7 in which case cmyk with perhaps additional spot colour is our best option.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:37:56 AM »
Hey guys,

Anyone made full colour artwork with swatches of increasing colour values and combinations of CMYK?
I'd like something like this to run from start to finish using our equipment and inks on both light and dark (with base) tees.
I think it would help with making educated adjustments to artwork/seps based on our screen printed results.
Do you guys have and do such thing? Or anything similar?
Too much time was spent today making adjustments at press to make colours match art.
If there's an existing template that ive missed or another method to help can someone please let me know.

Scott

The last place I worked did a lot of process, and they had a big grid of color swatches printed on white shirt. I'm not sure how much they referred to it by the time I got there - it had been done years before. But it was there if they ever wanted it. Haven't found a ready-to-use file to use for such a thing. Create your own?
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline docsscott

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 04:18:30 PM »
Yeah, if there is no existing templates I'll make one based on something like the attached with cmyk values for each swatch recorded underneath.
If we follow the exact process used when printing swatches to cmyk jobs I think it will help all round.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 10:29:06 AM »
Using the color swatch is a good idea. I would add that to get good pastels you will more than likely need a white printer in the cmyk sequence. 4cp is a cruel mistress and requires stringent process control from art room to prepress, on press and all the way up to cure....not exactly suitable to those faint of heart. The use of photo mechanical grayscale and color bars along with pressure rings on your films will help when dialing in color during press set up. I wish you success!
Dale Hoyal

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 02:25:16 PM »
This was sent to me for free by Action Illustrated. It's a Corel file in RGB and has a ton of colors. I think it was intended more so for color matching color prints from screen.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850