Author Topic: Eliminating Frame Holder Flex From Early Gauntlet  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
Eliminating Frame Holder Flex From Early Gauntlet
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:58:50 PM »
I am going to start working on a DIY pre reg system for my old Gauntlet quite soon. We have drastically cut the set up times down by adding the squeegee air dumps and pressure regs, but we are still not where we want to be on setup time. Pre reg setup will be a tri loc / FPU style system similar to what has already been detailed here on the board. Will be sure to take a few pics along the way, but first I have to fix / alleviate the flex in the front frame holder. It's my understanding that this flex is what makes tri loc incompatible with the older M&R presses. So i'm planning on drilling out the front frame holders and replacing the threaded rod (3/8" fine thread) with something a little heavier duty.
Has anyone done this before? Is moving up to 1/2" threaded rod going to be sturdy enough to eliminate the flex so that a 3 point reg system will work adequately, or should I go up to something even thicker? I'd hate to replace all of the threaded rod in the front frame holders only to find out that it is still flexing throwing the pre reg out.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Eliminating Frame Holder Flex From Early Gauntlet
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 12:22:59 AM »
Try it without modification first, you might be satisfied enough.  Pin lock done right on a level, old gauntlet worked for me alright.  Nowhere near perfect all the time but better than not using any pre reg.

I'm jealous of your air dumps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk