Author Topic: New Computer - Transfer Apps etc?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline 1964GN

New Computer - Transfer Apps etc?
« on: March 20, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »
The time has come for a new main/art computer. We are on Win 10 and the new Win 10 desktop is arriving today. I would like to plan this out and was hoping some one here has a fool proof way of moving apps (specifically) with out reinstalling everyone individually.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: New Computer - Transfer Apps etc?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:12:52 AM »
you could image your drive and move it, but that could honestly probably cause more issues than just fresh installs with the same licenses.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:56:25 AM »
^^^ What he said.  Bite the bullet.  Document all the running aps and reinstall fresh for less headaches.  I've had to do it many times.  Not just Win updates, but new PC builds several times. 

Your problem is not really a Windows limitation, but what the Windows image knows (or thinks it knows from the old PC image) is the motherboard, CPU, hardware components, drivers, etc. etc. etc.  Yea, it does try to resolve them and generally does a pretty good job, but you will likely find little things that will drive you nuts.  Like not able to print to a printer cuz Win says you have the latest drivers, won't let you update them, and won't let you print.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:12:41 AM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:48:47 AM »
^^^ What he said.  Bite the bullet.  Document all the running aps and reinstall fresh for less headaches.  I've had to do it many times.  Not just Win updates, but new PC builds several times. 

Your problem is not really a Windows limitation, but what the Windows image knows (or thinks it knows from the old PC image) is the motherboard, CPU, hardware components, drivers, etc. etc. etc.  Yea, it does try to resolve them and generally does a pretty good job, but you will likely find little things that will drive you nuts.  Like not able to print to a printer cuz Win says you have the latest drivers, won't let you update them, and won't let you print.

Wondering if folks who do experience these problems could, or should at least try a Windows repair with the original disk.
Or, better yet, can one clone a C drive to keep all of one's applications, but still re-install the full Windows OS?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 11:00:50 AM »
Yeah, cloning was never an option for me. I found some paid apps that claimed to move apps etc but decided to just reinstall every thing from scratch. So far, so good :)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:40:53 AM »

Wondering if folks who do experience these problems could, or should at least try a Windows repair with the original disk.
Or, better yet, can one clone a C drive to keep all of one's applications, but still re-install the full Windows OS?

Andy, I don't think so as I believe Windows has it's fingers in things even when aps are installed, but there are folks on the board here that are sharper than me on Windows nuances and I'll defer to one of them to respond and educate us. 
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 06:54:58 AM »

Andy, I don't think so as I believe Windows has it's fingers in things even when aps are installed, but there are folks on the board here that are sharper than me on Windows nuances and I'll defer to one of them to respond and educate us.

I was thinking that with a cloned drive, the machine would boot, and then might allow a new installation of only the OS, thus keeping the applications, but tweaking the "fingers".

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 12:01:45 PM »
Using the same drive or a cloned drive "can" work...but almost always will result in some quirky problems.
The only time I have had success with this is if the chipset on the motherboard is the same or very similar on both systems.

I have been pretty successful using an add on PCI SATA controller card.  You must have the "old" system running on that before making the switch and continue to use the add on card card in that new system.
With that said, I highly recommend a new OS install along with any programs or "apps" you may need and start fresh.  Of course, depending on the OS you can use the Easy Transfer Wizard to move all of your settings and preferences to the new system.

Best of luck,
Bill

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 04:58:17 PM »
Belarc Advisor is a great free app that gives you the registration keys for all of your installed software.  It's a life saver.  We've been swapping out our hard drives with Samsung solid state drives and the free drive copy software they provide is a piece of cake to use.  You hook up the new SSD via USB with a SATA to USB cable.  It copies the entire old drive over to the new SSD and takes like 5 hours.  When it's done, shut it down, take out the old one, replace it with the SSD and everything fires right up but running on your faster drive.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »
Thanks for all who took the time to reply. I ended up installing everything from scratch. The new computer is freaky fast!

Add on question: I have a 256GB SSD drive with the OS installed, in addition to all of my apps and art files. While it's lightning fast it is filling up pretty quickly. Is the larger 2TB D dive designed for storage of those apps and additional files?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »
I have only my OS and Apps on the ssd while art files and all other data are happy on the hdd.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 06:50:54 PM »
^^^^^ What he said

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 08:45:23 AM »