Author Topic: AI Plug-Ins  (Read 3233 times)

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
AI Plug-Ins
« on: March 22, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
Hey

I'm trying to find a good plug-in for handling curves more dynamically than what AI offers. Have any good suggestions? Free/Cheap is good.

And while were at it, feel free to mention any other plug ins that make your lives easier.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: AI Plug-Ins
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »
Hmmm.   You have me curious.  Curves you say?  in Illustrator?  What specifically are you trying to do with said curves in Illy?
Are you referring to curves "like you have for dot gain or image adjustment in photoshop and wanting to do that in Illy?

If so, all adjustments are manual adjustments for gain...in Illy so far as I know...other than color profile dot gain adjustments converting an RGB to CMYK...setup initially in Photoshop and synchronized via Adobe Bridge.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline starchild

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 11:08:16 PM »
Dan, Phantasm does offer Photoshop's curves, levels, brightness/contrast, hue/saturation and even exposure tools in Illustrator..

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:05:40 AM »
Hmm.  Never heard of Phantasm but then again, I never intend to edit raster in a vector program. I'll check that out. Obviously 3rd party.

Does it curve a vector gradation since it's working in a vector program?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 08:28:23 AM »
Hmm.  Never heard of Phantasm but then again, I never intend to edit raster in a vector program. I'll check that out. Obviously 3rd party.

Does it curve a vector gradation since it's working in a vector program?

Yes Phantasm is one of the plug ins by Astute Graphics.

http://astutegraphics.com/

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
I went to the website and will download that trial version. I think I did try this out years back but they should have changed a bunch of things by then. I think I got it for the halftone effects. These days, I just do it all in photoshop but this would be good for someone who doesn't have photoshop. Now that you can adjust curves (in illy), that will be interesting to play with.

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 02:32:55 PM »
Hmm.. Maybe not curves. I guess paths would be a better word?

My AI only has an anchor point tool. Some of the plug-ins I've found so far have been xtreme paths and path scribe (part of the vector scribe kit). xtreme paths is really expensive for what it is, vector scribe is more reasonable but I'm surprised that there aren't more open source tools that do the same thing. I don't think I would use any of the other tools in the Vector Scribe package..

The tools help with tracing because you only have to pen tool the anchor points and can go back and adjust the paths to fit what your tracing later.. I feel like it offers a better workflow for more intensive designs.

Sorry for any confusion.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »
Dan's very big in Photoshop, so I can see why he thought that. Curves is Corel's version of paths, I think, as I don't use Corel (not Mac compatible). I was also going to recommend Astute Graphics site, as they have a lot of good vector tools. If you've ever used sign software, there are usually many more vector tools in those programs than come with drawing programs.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
Dan's very big in Photoshop, so I can see why he thought that. Curves is Corel's version of paths, I think, as I don't use Corel (not Mac compatible). I was also going to recommend Astute Graphics site, as they have a lot of good vector tools. If you've ever used sign software, there are usually many more vector tools in those programs than come with drawing programs.

Steve

I just found that Im getting big in everything. I weight myself this am and found I added another 5 lb.

tse1990,

I'd be interested to see a video snitpit on how you work paths in Illy as you normally do...or in any other program showing what you're missing or looking for.  I only know Illy when it comes to paths and tracing and it seems pretty ok to me. IN fact, for some reason, if I have to path something to death, I'll take it back into Illy and do it there...as it seems faster, easier for me tere than Photoshop paths. But again, that's all I know. So...ya know.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »

Steve

I just found that Im getting big in everything. I weight myself this am and found I added another 5 lb.

This is where a "like" button would be good. ;D

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't