Author Topic: Dryers - infeed/outfeed and width  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Dryers - infeed/outfeed and width
« on: March 29, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »
Talk to me about infeed and outfeed. I'm looking at upgrading our dryer and have only had small dryers with short infeed and outfeed. I understand the longer the outfeed the more cool down time the garment is allowed.

Talk to me like I'm ten and better explain to me the importance and benefits of increasing the infeed and outfeed, as well as what is an ideal size for each.

Belt width 30" vs 54":
We are a one automatic shop. I'm leaning towards a 54" belt. Will I benefit from this over the 30"

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Dryers - infeed/outfeed and width
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 12:46:08 PM »
Similar subject touched upon in this thread this morning
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,20030.0.html
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 12:51:04 PM »
Ours is 8ft in and out feed, wouldn't want less now that we have that. Our dryer is also 72 inches wide so we could feed 2 autos easy maybe 3 presses with the right mix of work.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline numbercruncher

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
"Talk to me like I'm ten and better explain to me the importance and benefits of increasing the infeed and outfeed, as well as what is an ideal size for each. "

Shane - okay - since you asked...

How long should the infeed be ? and how wide a belt is needed ?
Depends on a number of answers to the following questions(and I'm sure there are more)
What quantity of throughput do you need today ?
How many and what kind of presses do you need to accommodate today ?
What is the available square footage ?
Once you have answered those questions, if you use waterbase/discharge you'll want to consider the size of your heat chamber as more heat/time is required to cure those inks.
Next is the more difficult part - given a gas dryer represents a significant business investment you may wish to consider planned for or anticipated expansion, especially if it includes additional presses that the dryer is expected to handle.
Lastly, outfeed requirements usually get shorted - don't know if it is still true, but many of the poly/poly stretch inks (let's forget about bleed)  were tacky coming out of the dryer and unless sufficiently cooled might stick to each other in the dryer basket -often with undesired images being transferred.
Shops I've visited with gas dryers generally:
  with one auto and manual ---had 4/5 '  in and out:  9/10' of heat with 36" belt.
  with two autos and manual --- had 5/10' in and 5' out:10/12' of heat with 48" belt
 (two shops doing a fair amount of  water-base/discharge had only 1 auto w/ above dryer

At one of the shops I worked with - ran an Anatol 60" split belt with 12' in and 8' out - had 2 autos, 2 manuals and 2 numbering presses on that line.
It was modular so heat chambers could be added if necessary at a later date.

Glad to hear from you with any questions...

Michael Jirasek
Anatol
847-582-1694

Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 12:42:38 PM »
I have a Adelco gas dryer.
Inlet 78"
Outlet 60"
Oven 157"
Width of belt 70"
We run two automatics through this without any problems, printing plastisol.
We've had it for a year and so far it's great.      Really nice having a wide belt.
With out old smaller oven we had to slow down the printer, the oven couldn't keep up and we were folding the shirts to try and get more production.
A big oven makes such a difference, we throw the shirts on open.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il