Author Topic: Ha! 45lpi aqnd 55lpi in the same seps  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Ha! 45lpi aqnd 55lpi in the same seps
« on: March 29, 2017, 05:45:37 PM »
I just printed films using 45lpi and 55lpi in the same seps. Fun times!  Haven't done that since Aldus Freehand.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Ha! 45lpi aqnd 55lpi in the same seps
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »
certainly one way to avoid moire and have excellent dynamic range.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:08:19 PM »
Silly question time:

Base at 45? Top at 55?

Within the same color?

What benefits do you see in doing this?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:47:01 PM »
Silly question time:

Base at 45? Top at 55?

Within the same color?

What benefits do you see in doing this?

It was in all screens of 6 colors. Not just base.

It happened to be out of necessity. I had to revise a sep file that was bitmap halftoned at 45lpi.  I then needed to make some revisions but felt it would work better at 55lpi for these specific areas and so I converted to greayscale, combined them into one file, made my alterations, and re-output at 55lpi. The file was crisp enough at 1200ppi already so the conversions were flawless. I let the rip do my 55lpi and all is well. Going on high mesh, so everything will hold in the 55 down to about 7% but the mid tone range will be softer.  (We are using flo lights) so the need for 45lpi for most of it that fades out to nothing, hoping to capture more of a smooth fade. We will see tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:59:13 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:47:04 AM »
Ahhh Nice!

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline SEPSINK

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »
Thats awesome, Dan!
www.seps.ink Color Separations For Screen Printers

Offline TCred

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 04:22:01 PM »
Ah Feehand... if only it was still around  :-[

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:49:24 PM »
I know RIGHT?  I loved that program.  so awesome.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:06:52 AM »
I know RIGHT?  I loved that program.  so awesome.

I started with Cricket Draw first, then graduated to Aldus Freehand, also loved it. If there is one feature that Adobe should have adopted once they took it over from Macromedia was the text on a path function. You could set text on 2 lines, center justified, draw a circle, and attach them together, the top line attaching to the top of the circle, and the bottom line of text to the bottom half of the circle, with a single command, I forget what it was called. Sooooo much better than the way Illustrator still does it...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »
Agreed.  And I loved the stock multitude of halftone pattern files and being able to assign spot colors and various line screen counts in the same file. That sticks out in my head most.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 11:37:32 AM »
Agreed.  And I loved the stock multitude of halftone pattern files and being able to assign spot colors and various line screen counts in the same file. That sticks out in my head most.

Yes, that was cool, being able to assign a separate LPI to each object...

Steve

by the way, nice job regarding the original post, good sleuthing.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't