Author Topic: Question for you computer gurus??  (Read 3874 times)

Offline XG Print

Question for you computer gurus??
« on: April 15, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »
I am wanting to add another desktop for our art guys.  What and where would you go with.  We are heavy Corel Draw users.  Besides that really basic internet needs.  I would like something capable of running dual monitors and probably with a Core I7 processor unless you guys tell me different.  I have been running Windows 7 Pro and was skeptical about going to 10 because I wanted to make sure my Corel X6 and all the Advanced T-Shirts plug ins i use would be compatible and I think now they are.  Im all ears.  What do you think I should be looking for as far as RAM, HD capacity, processor, graphics card, etc.
Thanks

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: Question for you computer gurus??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »
I'm running an 2011, used Mac mini right now. It isn't the most powerful thing in the world, but it runs photoshop pretty well and was easily upgraded to 16 gigs of ram. Doesn't have dedicated graphics, which would be nice, but I'm not sure how much that really improves performance on design programs. I always figured they were more geared for gamers and video editing, but I'm sure overall they are a good performance boost.

Main thing I would make sure you have is a fast SSD drive, that will make things much snappier, and at least 16 gigs of ram, but 32 would be optimal. My graphics card knowledge isn't great, but I hear great things about the GTX series.

I'd build a PC from maingear if I wasn't stuck on the Mac ecosystem. I'm by no means an Apple fanboy, but I'm more accustom to the OS and I feel more productive on a Mac.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »
I am far from a computer geek but we just replaced our older HP with a new HP Omen Desktop PC - 870-210se. We got it with the following upgrades and it kicks butt. It ain't cheap at around 1300 bucks but it's well worth it to me. I live and die by that thing.

Windows 10 Home
Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Kabylake 91W; 4 Cores; 8MB Shared Cache; Max Memory Speed: DDR4-2400/DDR3L-1600
16 GB DDR4 memory
256 SSD + 2 TB HDD storage
Ultra Slim-tray SuperMulti DVD burner
Intel® 802.11ac (1x1) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060; Founders Edition
Air Cooling Solution 95W CPU for 300W PSU

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 05:42:22 PM »
You don't need an I7, but they are nice, if perhaps overkill in some situations.
( I run a newer, fast I3 at home here and it doesn't even break a sweat. 2 cores, 4 threads )
The new AMD Ryzen processors are a very compelling alternative. AMD is back in the game.

I would suggest a minimum of 16 gigs of ram.

I would suggest an ssd for your operating system/programs ( 120 gig is plenty, 250 gig won't break the bank )

I would suggest a mechanical drive for your data ( 1 tb should hold you for quite awhile, you can always add another ).

A dedicated video card, imho, is a must. Your system will just be way more responsive, and some graphics programs
take advantage of a dedicated GPU. Plus, with a dedicated GPU, you will have additional outputs.
AMD or Nvidia. For production, you're not going to need a hardcore gaming card, but something in the middle ground
is where you should aim for. Nvidia GTX1050ish or AMD RX470ish won't let you down.
( They're always releasing new models, do some research before you buy. You can pick up powerful used as well for cheap )

Get a good power supply. Cheap out here and your foundation is made of straw.

I suppose I could go on about silent cases, dust filters, good CPU coolers, etc, but
I think I covered the important stuff.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »
You don't need an I7, but they are nice, if perhaps overkill in some situations.
( I run a newer, fast I3 at home here and it doesn't even break a sweat. 2 cores, 4 threads )
The new AMD Ryzen processors are a very compelling alternative. AMD is back in the game.

I would suggest a minimum of 16 gigs of ram.

I would suggest an ssd for your operating system/programs ( 120 gig is plenty, 250 gig won't break the bank )

I would suggest a mechanical drive for your data ( 1 tb should hold you for quite awhile, you can always add another ).

A dedicated video card, imho, is a must. Your system will just be way more responsive, and some graphics programs
take advantage of a dedicated GPU. Plus, with a dedicated GPU, you will have additional outputs.
AMD or Nvidia. For production, you're not going to need a hardcore gaming card, but something in the middle ground
is where you should aim for. Nvidia GTX1050ish or AMD RX470ish won't let you down.
( They're always releasing new models, do some research before you buy. You can pick up powerful used as well for cheap )

Get a good power supply. Cheap out here and your foundation is made of straw.

I suppose I could go on about silent cases, dust filters, good CPU coolers, etc, but
I think I covered the important stuff.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

I thought that 120 would do me, and it did for a while until reality set in it got 90% full. Showed red when looking at the drive in "Computer" and just recently I had to upgrade. Since a 256 is now less than what my 120 cost four years ago, don't get too skimpy here. before I upgraded, I found myself either uninstalling programs, or moving them to my mechanical drive. Not worth the $40 or so in savings.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 06:12:56 PM »
Yeah, hence I mentioned the 250.
I have a ton of stuff on my 120, and it's still got about 40 gig free.
But of course, I keep all data and such on mechanicals, and keep my system drive clean.

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 08:08:38 PM »
I have been building systems for over 15 years.  I am an AMD fanboy and I would not yet recommend the new Ryzen CPU. 
The best AMD CPU "bang for your buck" I have used is the FX-6300.  It is a six core processor running at 3.5 GHz. They retail for $90.  A similar classed Intel processor will cost you over $400.
As mentioned already, 16 GB of memory (RAM) is good. 
I also recommend at least 250GB SSD for your OS and programs.  A 2 TB HDD for data storage will cost you about $60.
There are tons of 2GB video cards that will perform well for you for under $70.
Also mentioned was a good power supply.  I have had great success with the EVGA 600 watt for $50. 
I also suggest, no matter what you end up with, be sure to use an uninterruptible power supply.  APC BackUps 550 is a good option for around $70.

My system specs:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard
AMD FX-9370 CPU 8 cores @ 4.4 GHz (overclocked to 4.8 GHz with water cooling)
32 GB of G.Skill Sniper memory
MSI R9 380 4 GB video card
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD boot drive with another Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD data drive
Corsair 850 watt power supply
Acer 27" LED monitor

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:38:17 AM »
As far as know DRAW X6 is not compatible w/ windows 10. I tried to install DRAW X4 full version and X6 upgrade disk without success.
I don't know  if this is your case, make sure it works for you before you pull the trigger on a new machine.

just my two cents.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »

I thought that 120 would do me, and it did for a while until reality set in it got 90% full. Showed red when looking at the drive in "Computer" and just recently I had to upgrade. Since a 256 is now less than what my 120 cost four years ago, don't get too skimpy here. before I upgraded, I found myself either uninstalling programs, or moving them to my mechanical drive. Not worth the $40 or so in savings.

Get one of the free disk storage analyzers and double check that your space is being used for actual programs etc.
We were getting full on one OS drive here and I found that Windows was saving some redonkulous temp stuff. As
in over half the drive. I wonder if MS has any ownership in the disk mfgrs.

I have been building systems for over 15 years.  I am an AMD fanboy and I would not yet recommend the new Ryzen CPU. 

I've built probably 40 setups in my time. Only had one bad CPU ever.
It was the single time I gave Intel a whirl.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 03:23:03 PM »

Get one of the free disk storage analyzers and double check that your space is being used for actual programs etc.
We were getting full on one OS drive here and I found that Windows was saving some redonkulous temp stuff. As
in over half the drive. I wonder if MS has any ownership in the disk mfgrs.

Well, back then, I went through the "make more space" options, and the gain enough to get me out of the red, but only barely, and only temporarily, thus necessitating the housecleaning often.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 01:05:47 PM »
I've built probably 40 setups in my time. Only had one bad CPU ever.
It was the single time I gave Intel a whirl.

Stoked on this today.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »
As far as know DRAW X6 is not compatible w/ windows 10. I tried to install DRAW X4 full version and X6 upgrade disk without success.
I don't know  if this is your case, make sure it works for you before you pull the trigger on a new machine.

just my two cents.

Was an old post, but I have had zero problems running Draw X6 on Windows 10 for well over a year.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline scrubz

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 04:16:04 PM »
Thought I would keep this old post rolling.
Just discovered that if you are a Windows 7 Professional fan like I am, be sure you are running the 64 bit version.  If you have a 32 bit version, your ram is limited to @3 gigs even if you have 16 installed.  Also if you run an SSD drive, make sure you have TRIM(look that one up on the google)active.  If not, your SSD drive may pooch.
Hope this helps anyone avoid the problems I encountered.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
Be careful keeping your 7 running unless you keep updating with the security patches.  10 is more secure.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 05:46:15 PM »
  Also if you run an SSD drive, make sure you have TRIM(look that one up on the google)active.  If not, your SSD drive may pooch.
Hope this helps anyone avoid the problems I encountered.

Agreed, always use trim with an ssd, never defragment. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.