Author Topic: Question for you computer gurus??  (Read 3855 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Question for you computer gurus??
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 05:57:39 PM »
Just built my new one:

i7 8700k
Water Cooled
64GB 3200 Ram
1TB M.2 SSD 960 Pro
4 x 4TB WD Black Drives in a Raid 10
2 x EVGA GTX 1080's in SLI
Coolermaster Case.

It's hustling along really nice!
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »
Just built my new one:

i7 8700k
Water Cooled
64GB 3200 Ram
1TB M.2 SSD 960 Pro
Coolermaster Case.

Is that strictly for work?  Or do you sneak an online game in there from time to time?   Them 2 1080's should kick out some great graphics.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 08:11:07 PM »
This brings me up to my current topic on PC's and monitors.  I hate to sound so newbish but lets just call me a "user" and not a builder.

I have a new 27" LCD monitor that has a rez of up to 3840x2160 @ 30Hz.   I want to use that, but I believe it's my Vid card that is limiting me to 1920x1080 @ 60hz
When I go into the settings, all I can get out of it is the max of 1920x1080 and is too blurry for me and my work.

Is it a better Vid card that I need?  Using Nvidia now.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 08:35:01 PM »
Just built my new one:

i7 8700k
Water Cooled
64GB 3200 Ram
1TB M.2 SSD 960 Pro
Coolermaster Case.

Is that strictly for work?  Or do you sneak an online game in there from time to time?   Them 2 1080's should kick out some great graphics.

No gaming really, I prefer consoles for gaming. I like to future proof the computers I build a bit.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »
This brings me up to my current topic on PC's and monitors.  I hate to sound so newbish but lets just call me a "user" and not a builder.

I have a new 27" LCD monitor that has a rez of up to 3840x2160 @ 30Hz.   I want to use that, but I believe it's my Vid card that is limiting me to 1920x1080 @ 60hz
When I go into the settings, all I can get out of it is the max of 1920x1080 and is too blurry for me and my work.

Likely card isn’t capable or driver isn’t updated if it’s a recent card. 

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
yea resolution is going to be card related.

good build Brandt.  The price on that i7 is fantastic right now.  Only change I would have made, assuming you're cool spending a few hundred more (which it looks like you would have been considering the rest of the build) would have been to go with a Xeon instead.  Bit more expensive, but better long term cpu solution and better for multitasking etc.  Basically server grade vs gamer grade.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 10:33:51 AM »
yea resolution is going to be card related.

good build Brandt.  The price on that i7 is fantastic right now.  Only change I would have made, assuming you're cool spending a few hundred more (which it looks like you would have been considering the rest of the build) would have been to go with a Xeon instead.  Bit more expensive, but better long term cpu solution and better for multitasking etc.  Basically server grade vs gamer grade.

Considered it. This rig was about 6k in parts after next day air and tax. Doesn't count my monitors which I have dual 34 inch 4k LG's, and a 50 inch 7 series samsung.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 02:12:02 PM »
LOL you guys sound like your building rigs for spying or CIA stuff instead of doing simple T-shirt graphics, but seriously I know you have to keep up with where tech is taking us now, and lord knows I'm very old school and try to hang onto my old stuff.  I got a mac that's about 25 years old that still works and my first win 95 rigs, no there not in use in the biz, but I keep them around, just can't seem to toss them out ;).  Brandt that rig you have sounds like it can really go and those monitors I'd love to have, might have to look into a good upgrade around here.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »
I deal with one awesome computer I built myself and one off the shelf piece of crap every day.  The difference when dealing with large files in photoshop etc is enough to make me want to throw the shitty one off a cliff EVERY SINGLE DAY.  Once you get nice hardware its really frustrating dealing with old slow crap.  Also, I have 3 widescreen monitors on the nice build and one 4:3 on the crap build, and again: INFURIATING!

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 04:25:02 PM »

Yeah, unfortunately that won't scale nice.

Likely can help but, need to know
- video card model number.
- what type of cable you are connecting to monitor with
- monitor make/model