Author Topic: Moments of "doh!"  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

Re: Moments of "doh!"
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
When printing a mere pallet; it is traditional, nay expected, to call out "JOB OPENING ON PRESS SIX!!!!" etc
You all have permission to use this

...way back in the mid-90's (pre-NAFTA), I worked for a contract shop, that took overflow work from the bigger contract shops when they got bigger orders they couldnt handle.

...We ran this one job continuously for nearly two months....WAY oversize womens sleepshirts printed for "The Mouse". BIG oversize pallets, screens, everything...7 colors on a 12-color Challenger.

...One morning, doin the usual prep stuff, LOTS of fresh glue on the nice clean pallets, all ready to go. Dude (NOT ME) comes in, forgets to hit PRINT-START, and just starts the machine as if its mid-run. Yep, machine indexes, prints all seven screens on the pallets... ALL seven screens stuck to the boards So much so, that the CAROUSEL DOESNT DROP. The screens were actually suspending the entire carousel in the air. Of course, the control panel doesnt work because the prox switch that detects carousel drop throws an error, so now everything is stuck. After much fidgeting, we put some 2x4 blocks under the carousel to "catch" it when it eventually did drop...and started cutting screens out one-by one. All seven perished. Not a good day that day.

...Worst one that actually WAS my fault was for the same print job. With such a large print area, we were drinking up about a 5er of white ink every two hours or so. One of my responsibilities was to keep getting the white ink ready by putting them on the mixer, with a little NC reducer to keep the print flyng fast. End of the day, put a 5er on, and forgot about when I clocked out and bailed. Ink spun all night, so long it built up heat (summer GA warehouses with no a/c arent exactly cool). It gelled, which pushed the mixing blade into the side of the bucket until it chewed completly thru it. Ink mixer and surrounding area covered in partially gelled white ink. That clean up was the worst, but this was shortly after the above disaster story, so it didnt seem too bad by comaparison, I suppose.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 09:42:57 PM »
My pre press guy has done this twice THAT I KNOW OF. Filling a five gallon bucket of emulsion from a 55 gallon barrel with a spigot on it. Walks away and forgets about it. I walked in on him mopping up a quite large emulsion lake in my screen room. TWICE!!!
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Du Manchu

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 11:43:43 PM »
I've got so many....

Particularly memorable is time I unknowingly kicked the spigot on the dip tank during final shut down procedures for the night.   Coming into a production room of pink slime the next morning was a real pisser.  4 years later the floor is still pink in some areas.  (Needless to say, there is no longer a spigot on the tank, just a sealed plug and a sump pump for draining).

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »
  Many, many years ago, I spelled it basketballl.

We did a pile of shirts that said "Universary of Cinncinati" years ago, and "Special Olympics of Pioneer Vallley"

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 03:01:05 PM »
Any of you manual printers ever yank a shirt before all colors were done?  I guess if a head inadvertently gets switched off, it can happen on an auto as well.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 04:22:58 PM »
Any of you manual printers ever yank a shirt before all colors were done?  I guess if a head inadvertently gets switched off, it can happen on an auto as well.

Of course...

Steve

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »
Speaking of autos, there's that moment when you reach to pull a shirt and see blotchy streaks because you've dry printed the color on the opposite side of the press - and that means the next 4, 5, 6+ shirts are ruined, too.

...there are just too many ways to screw up in this job!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
My biggest one might be...coming in to work today.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
Speaking of autos, there's that moment when you reach to pull a shirt and see blotchy streaks because you've dry printed the color on the opposite side of the press - and that means the next 4, 5, 6+ shirts are ruined, too.

Did this the other day, and of all things with winged flood bars, they making me ink carding lazy LOL
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline XG Print

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 10:48:59 AM »
Printed a 150 pc order for a customer with their supplied film.  Supposed to say SECURITY across the front in big letters.  Did the whole job and not 1 person in the shop printing, catching, folding, or boxing noticed that the spelling was SECURTY.  Lucky for us they supplied the film, but I felt so bad and was so mad with my guys I gave him a break on the 2nd run  ::)

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »
Dropped off a big order to a long time customer and forgot the last box. We didn't realize it until Monday after their event! Doh!
We called them up and they said the event went great and never realized they were missing them... "No worries at all, just bring them down and we'll use them for next year. Thanks again guys!"
 (thankfully there was no date or year in the design)
......giant sigh of relief

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 12:13:16 PM »
Dropped off a big order to a long time customer and forgot the last box. We didn't realize it until Monday after their event! Doh!
We called them up and they said the event went great and never realized they were missing them... "No worries at all, just bring them down and we'll use them for next year. Thanks again guys!"
 (thankfully there was no date or year in the design)
......giant sigh of relief

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

we did that once, years ago. I made one of my guys drive 2 hours to the event, drop it off and come back. Ever since then we have box labels with all kinds of info on it, customer name, PO,  Box__ of __ . We also put the number of boxes on the invoices so when a customer picks up a job, they are signing out 3 boxes or whatever. We had a guy call and say he was missing a box, we didn't have any info on how many boxes he took so we were stuck...lessons learned the hard way but it all works out now.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »
Printed a 150 pc order for a customer with their supplied film.  Supposed to say SECURITY across the front in big letters.  Did the whole job and not 1 person in the shop printing, catching, folding, or boxing noticed that the spelling was SECURTY.  Lucky for us they supplied the film, but I felt so bad and was so mad with my guys I gave him a break on the 2nd run  ::)

We've had mockups with misspellings approved, then, the artist, screen maker, printer, and catcher all missed it... what the hell do they think we send them proofs for?

Steve

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 11:09:22 AM »

Try 14 :)

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »
Ran 100 white tanks recently. 7 colours on our 6-colour manual press, with five screens. All was good until I realized the catch bin had some ink in it that transferred to a ton of the tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk