Author Topic: Wacom Cintiq Advise  (Read 2184 times)

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
Wacom Cintiq Advise
« on: April 28, 2017, 03:31:44 PM »
Does anyone own one of these creative pen displays? If so I want to hear from you. I know everyone is going to drool over over the 27QHD Touch when they see it, but in all reality with real world day to day use what does everyone think the best option is. Yes a huge display is nice but having to deal with all that real estate in a real world environment has to be pain staking. If you own one (Cintiq), let me know what you wish you would or would not have got as well as the reasons why.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Wacom Cintiq Advise
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »
Does anyone own one of these creative pen displays? If so I want to hear from you. I know everyone is going to drool over over the 27QHD Touch when they see it, but in all reality with real world day to day use what does everyone think the best option is. Yes a huge display is nice but having to deal with all that real estate in a real world environment has to be pain staking. If you own one (Cintiq), let me know what you wish you would or would not have got as well as the reasons why.

We have one, I can't remember if it is the 24 or the 27 now to be honest with you and I am too lazy to go down and look haha. My artist uses it 8-10hrs a day. Coming from a basic tablet where you don't draw on the screen he loves it way more. He's never had a complaint about it. He wouldn't live without it now I know that.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 11:01:11 AM »
Thanks for the input friend! Does it seem to speed up his ability to get finished designs out the door?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
Thanks for the input friend! Does it seem to speed up his ability to get finished designs out the door?

Yup, very much so.  He's probably 2x faster with that screen than he was with the normal tablet
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 02:18:51 PM »
So tell me which one you want homie!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline starchild

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
I know you mentioned wanting to hear from Cintiq only users but the question- as it pertains to productivity.. Well as far as a graphics display user, I feel like the most obvious productivity is first the body language expressed when using this tool. You kinda get more intimate with what ever task you're doing and therefore a higher continuous production tolerence - so longer duration of work before distractions set in and you take a break..

The programmable keys are obvious but could really get in the way- sometimes you mean to hit undo and end up maybe resizing your brush - so contiuous lost of rhythm- but still the bomb.. Oh and a screen big enough to contain your references, your canvas and even a mirroring view of your working canvas- so no necessary looking away to a second monitor.. So yeah it's the intmacy you get with your work when using a large graphics pen display..

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »
I recommend anyone who uses these draw on display monitors to get one of these as well.  It really helps productivity when working with the CS.  Not sure how well it works with Corel though...

https://palettegear.com/

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
I own a Ugee HK1560 15.5" that was $400 that I enjoy using on a day to day basis. I also have a wacom intous. The Ugee is perfect size for my desktop use. I chose to get an Ugee mainly for the price per size, compared to what wacom charges. I am currently saving up for the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro, though. It's one of a kind. xD

Ben
 Graphic designer for Ross..

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 01:54:45 PM »
I have the medium size. I think it's i donno, 14-16"   It's not enough.  Actual liv working area is too small.  I regret getting it,. It's sitting.  AS cool and fun it is to work on them...and I just let mine sit cuz I can't bring myself to get used to it yet. Too small.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline starchild

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »
I recommend anyone who uses these draw on display monitors to get one of these as well.  It really helps productivity when working with the CS.  Not sure how well it works with Corel though...

https://palettegear.com/
I'm actually looking into using a pad controller because my thinking is it will allow you to not look away to see if you are reaching for the appropriate shortcut button.. You only require finger memory..

www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver-chroma

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
I have the medium size. I think it's i donno, 14-16"   It's not enough.  Actual liv working area is too small.  I regret getting it,. It's sitting.  AS cool and fun it is to work on them...and I just let mine sit cuz I can't bring myself to get used to it yet. Too small.

Was thinking the 15" may be the way to go but if the working area is really small that may be major downside. Anyone know if you can lay the medium size on down relatively flat (slight angle, think drafting table)?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 05:00:10 PM »
Yes, you can lay it flat, or it has about 3 more options for angles. Little slots you set the back into and a flip holder wall in the back the kind of folds up into the slot so it stays at that angle. It's sturdy enough as well.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Boldline

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 12:42:57 PM »
I purchased the Wacom Cintiq 27" Non-Touch a year and a half ago, after many years using a Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet and stylus. In my online study before purchasing, and from talking to other artists who owned one, I decided against getting the touch function because there was a consensus that it was wonky still. I also purchased the ergonomic stand that allows you to change the angle of the screen as you work. Wacom had a Christmas special where the cintiq was on sale for 2000 dollars instead of 2400. The stand was 400, so it evened out.

It took me a few days to get used to the Cintiq - with a tablet, your hand is never in the way because you're staring at the screen with your hand scribbling on the tablet to your side... but with the cintiq, your hand is often "in the way". You also have tp physically move your hand around on the screen as you draw on the cintiq - which is not a big deal, but after years of doing the equivalent with a small gesture on the tablet, it took getting used to.

I agree that the cintiq increases production - I don't know if I've doubled my speed as some have claimed - I had gotten pretty decent moving around on the tablet prior to the cintiq.
My only other criticism of the cintiq is that it can easily cause neck or back strain if you sit at it too long - that's not really the cintiq's fault though! I think for myself, I am looking at a dual operation of ipad pro (with the app that mirrors the computer based apps to it) and the cintiq for my daily work - it will allow me to change position and environment more often when I work. ipad pro is the next purchase!

All that said, I really do love my cintiq and I'm grateful I have it. I would not want to go back to the tablet and stylus. I've found I love it most for painting and sketching. Its the closest thing to drawing by hand on traditional paper and the hand-eye connection is natural, unlike the disconnect when using a stylus and tablet. Its certainly worth investing in if you spend a large quantity of time designing.

Mat Woodworth
Bold Line Design
www.boldlinedesign.com
twitter: @boldlinedesign
facebook: www.facebook.com/boldlinedesignllc

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 11:34:44 PM »
Thanks for the input Mat!!