Author Topic: Diazo Emulsion  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Diazo Emulsion
« on: May 01, 2017, 06:49:23 PM »
Can you use diazo emulsion without adding the diazo? Why or why not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Diazo Emulsion
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
No. Without the Diazo, it has no reactivity with light. It's just essentially block-out.
Used to make our own at one shop with white glue, coloring, and I think sodium bichromate to make it photographically sensitive.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline merchmonster

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 12:35:47 AM »
I had a guy who threw away the diazo and coated screens with unsensitized emulsion. That was fun times troubleshooting
Merch Monster Screen Printing Embroidery and DTG Direct To Garment Printing
Servicing Oakland CA and the Greater San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.merchmonster.net

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 01:13:21 AM »
Ok thanks. I was curious if the diazo was just for water resistance. I've been using sp1400 and while I love the price, the reclaiming is a bit tougher. Still have a couple gallons to go thru before thinking about changing to a one part with easier reclaim. Any suggestions on an inexpensive one part emulsion? Might be hard to beat the $30 sp1400 though.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
Can't beat the price of 30 bucks but a really good two part emulsion is Imagemate DC-521 44.95 a gal from Valleylitho.com which is now called Superior Screen Printing Supplies.  Homer turned me on to HXT works with water base or DC inks I can't tell you the price I just order it might need to see what I'm paying LOL.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »
I tried a 2 part from Xenon that reclaimed like a dream but was pinhole city so that one is out. I dont need water resistance. I am thinking of trying Ulano Orange again. It is about $45 a gal. I figure I could cut my exposure times in half and save a minute or so per screen and then I will be ahead of the game.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 12:08:39 PM »
I tried a 2 part from Xenon that reclaimed like a dream but was pinhole city so that one is out. I dont need water resistance. I am thinking of trying Ulano Orange again. It is about $45 a gal. I figure I could cut my exposure times in half and save a minute or so per screen and then I will be ahead of the game.
Pinholes are unlikely to be caused by a specific emulsion, but rather are a product of less-than-stellar housekeeping. Perhaps, though, some are more forgiving than others.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »
Maybe so, but I experience zero pinholes on the SP1400, I can't remember having one for a couple years at least, once I switched over to the Xenon, pinholes. Can pinholes be caused by overexposure?

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 12:40:46 PM »
For me. Pin holes are caused by good emulsion that can expose fine details. We need to wipe down our glass before exposure.
Spot colour:  local emulsion, $5/kg
Halftone: imported $20/kg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline noortrd

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
whats the differnce between diazo and presensitize emulsion? in presensitize they add diazo before?.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »
Maybe so, but I experience zero pinholes on the SP1400, I can't remember having one for a couple years at least, once I switched over to the Xenon, pinholes. Can pinholes be caused by overexposure?

Pinholes are typically specks of dust which either break through during a run, or during developing. Overexposure would tend to make them bust through less due to stronger emulsion.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
whats the differnce between diazo and presensitize emulsion? in presensitize they add diazo before?.
Well, they add a sensitizer different than diazo. A photoreactive salt (Styryl Basolium Quaternary), is bonded to the polyvinyl base during the manufacturing process.
It has a much longer shelf life.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 02:36:13 PM »
  I know we all want to save a buck or two but to me at least it seems that is one
of the things I don't mind paying for. Good SCREEN printing starts with good SCREENS.
I use the emulsion that works best for me regardless of the cost. I can cut corners in
other less critical areas.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »
I agree. Thats why I want to shave some exposure time and some reclaim time. Just have to find one that works for me.

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 06:38:51 PM »
SP-1400 reclaim issues?  Diazo's are some of the easiest to reclaim.  Try mixing ER-605 from Murakami at 8 parts water to 1 part ER-605.  Are you letting the emulsion remover dry at all on the screen before blasting out?  If so emulsion remover that is left to dry on a screen can make it almost permanent.  the other tip would be to use a dip tank for reclaiming.  PM me for other additives for hardened screens.  Still reclaimable.  Are you reclaiming with a pressure washer as well?  Stronger PSI always helps in reclaiming.  Used to have a 5000 psi pressure washer that could reclaim without emulsion remover! 

Frog:  Glad you are still kicking after using Bichromate sensitizer.  For those that are unaware this is one serious cancer causing sensitizer that should never be used.  There are a few parts of the world who still use it and it can kill all aquatic life in a stream for years for miles downstream. 

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com