Author Topic: Precision Gas Dryer Help  (Read 2975 times)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Precision Gas Dryer Help
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »
I believe my dryer was manufactured in 1989. I had a contactor for the blower motor start to get clicky and weird. Looked up the part number online and they only existed used or new REALLY OLD stock. Took a pic to a local electrical supply and they had matching newer parts for it in a matter of minutes. Parts are still available, they're just newer and probably a different company that makes them. The honeywell "computer" thingies can even be purchased refurbished or used on ebay. I have an extra one of those on hand as well as flame rods and spark ignitors. These dryers are relatively easy to trace problems down with a multimeter or just by learning their quirks. If it kicks off, first thing I check is the lint screen, then the flame rod. That has only happened about 3 times in the 6-7 years I've had the dryer.

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 12:16:55 PM »
ok here is a pic of inside the control panel.  Are these the original parts?
Also a few pics of the outside. How's this look? decent?

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »
what's up with that loose fuse block resting in the door? that's doesn't look right....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 03:17:01 PM »
Yeah looks like the fuse block on the floor of the panel is for the IR heater panels. That should probably be mounted where that shiny bright white contactor is right above it. They rewired the darker contactor to the left with only two legs and then put in a new contactor and ran one leg of power through it. Why they didn't just replace the whole thing and wire it through all three legs, I dunno.

Also on the far right that's a solid state relay wired up sitting on the bottom of the panel. Those are supposed to be solid mounted to a heat sink to dissipate heat. Wonder what that's running?

That's REALLY CLEAN though on the outside. I wish mine looked that nice and new. Belt looks great.

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »
1K is a good deal on a vortex you can witness functioning.

We've been running an old(er) dirty(er) one than this for 9 months. Once we got it working, it has been great (took a long time to diagnose why it wouldn't start up initially - we thought our electrician who was losing his mind may have mis-wired it (the control panel had to come off to fit in the building) which led down some rabbit holes of diagnosis error with hours on the phone with Winston - eventually just found it was a shorted solenoid on the gas train.
I really suck with a multi-meter, winston was patient, and once that was sorted it's had zero issues.

speaking of which, hey Winston, you ever going to ship me that solenoid so i can put it back in??

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »
Ok well, he said it's still hooked up and running, so I may make the trip and get look for myself. He also has all the original manuals and schematics, too. I'm going to reach out to Winston and see if he has any advice here as well.

Thanks again for all the input guys!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »
Hey Maff,

Last October I bought a used 72" wide 20' long precision.  paid around 7k for it, long story I got ripped off but was able to get the dryer from the landowner of the building it was in.

anyhow, when the shipping company picked it up they cut all the wiring and disassembled it to go inside of a semi trailer, it was suppose to come on a flatbed.  it was in horrible shape.  Took me about 15 hours of troubleshooting and re-wiring, plus a new thermocouple to get it going, but, it is going and working like a champ, last month for a full 10 hours a day of use it consumed 115 therms at a cost of $156.

For a price of 1K that thing is a steal, I would drive there personally if you have to and get it, especially if it is running.

Offline danlilsade

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »
Excellent Plastisol dryer, and yes we sell parts for these at aero-inc.com

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
Thanks for all the input here guys!

And a big thanks to Winston for working with us to get the dryer transported and installed in our new shop. The guy is super nice and wealth of knowledge. I learned so much just by working at his side for a few days.

Here is a quick pic of Winston at the helm bring the dryer into our shop.