Author Topic: Anyone using Insta heat presses?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
Anyone using Insta heat presses?
« on: May 18, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »
Hey All! I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on a heat press I'm considering picking up. Somehow we have gone 5 years in business and never once used a heat press. We either turn the name / number jobs down or gang screens for small runs & for customers we like. We definitely have demand for it as we have been turning tons of business away.

I don't think we will use it often so this press might be overkill for us, but it looks like a good deal if the press is not junk. I know Geo Knight / Hix / Sthals are the main players for heat presses. I have seen Insta mentioned here and there but I haven't been able to find much in the way of actual user feedback. Is anyone using these presses? The one i'm looking at appears to be an older model (TM2?), but it looks like its built like a tank. Pneumatic operated, analog controls etc. Anything I should look out for? I'd hate to waste $750 and a 3.5 hour drive for this if these are junk. The company looks like they are still in business, but I'm not sure if parts are readily available.

Would I be better served to find a newer Geo Knight or Hix on the used market? I like the idea that this is pneumatic, and I'm definitely not scared of the analog stuff.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: Anyone using Insta heat presses?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:09:44 PM »
We use to have that exact one. It was awesome until one day it randomly caught fire. Never worked since that day. But for years it was dependable.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »
Wow! Thats scary! Any idea why it caught fire?

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:26:30 PM »
This was a few years ago so I'm not too sure. I remember opening it up and it looked like the wires were frayed which may have caused it.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:31:57 PM »
Can't speak to that particular model, but can tell you that Insta is one of the big boys. They are a fine company that makes fine presses.
Plenty of 20 year old examples still making money for their owners.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:49:47 PM »
We have one.  Early 2000s model.  Still works great.
Insta makes tanks.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 09:12:31 AM »
I picked up a more modern one for $500 a few years ago. Works well, but as happens sometimes with used equipment, it need to have the element replaced, I think it was a couple of hundred bucks from Insta. All in all, very good presses.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »
Yes my preference

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »
We have an older model, very similar to the one pictured, but with fewer features. It's rusty on the outside, & we have to prop the "raise" handle up with a wood block because a knob is missing. But I got it for free by rescuing it on it's way to another printer's dumpster, and it has worked without fail for about 10 years since then. If we pressed frequently, I'd want more automation. But for occasional use, I've had great ROI!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
We had 8 Instas in our shop.  As many have said, they are built like tanks.  What we liked most was the uniform temp across the head for foiling as well as a floating head that applied equal pressure.  We sold them for what we bought them for after 2m plus cycles. 
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »
Nice!

Thanks for the feedback! The guy has two more if anyone wants them, he will crate / ship freight. Both are 240V. He had a newer model with a digital timer so I picked that one up instead.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bfs/6123125860.html

Looks like this

Very excited to get my heat press game on. Ordered up some transfer paper and powder, so I'm sure Im going to have lots of new questions for the transfer gurus.