Author Topic: 3 minutes per color  (Read 2290 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
3 minutes per color
« on: May 25, 2017, 11:49:21 AM »
Slew of 10 color jobs last few days. After some practice so far the record is three people three min per color. So 30 min to teardown a 10 color and setup/approve the next one. Seen it on videos but first for my own eyes.

Offline Ross_S

Re: 3 minutes per color
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:55:29 AM »
That's impressive.  Tri-loc and I-Image?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
Yes, screen room is totally automated. Gotta tell that was a great experience (it just happened) First strike was more than good enough, second was dead nuts. Sim pro BTW

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »
Good work, we have done this several times where a 10 color down and 10 color up is done in under 10 minutes...... Your m&r setup is fast, but not as fast as our roq setup  8) 8) 8)
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »
your saying 10 minutes TOTAL to tear down and set up ready to print (10 down and 10 up)?  If so how many people that almost doesn't sound physically possible

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »
One minute per screen is insane. I'll take what we got for now though ;)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 12:29:08 PM »
your saying 10 minutes TOTAL to tear down and set up ready to print (10 down and 10 up)?  If so how many people that almost doesn't sound physically possible

I've seen Danny and his brother do a 4 color tear down and 8 color setup in under 10 minutes. Yes, the carts were loaded with screens and ink and everything was staged properly (regular shop staging, not something special). The screens that went off were loaded into carts with ink on them and dirty blades for somebody else to clean up.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 12:33:29 PM »
I figured they were not carding the ink off or anything.  That is still very impressive though

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 12:35:08 PM »
We did a 8 color order last November, started setting up 8 screens at 6pm, printed 100 shirts, boxed up and on the belt at UPS by 7pm.  I didn't time the actual setup but it wouldn't have happened without the CTS.

CTS and a registration jig are a magical Combination

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 12:38:02 PM »
Yes; staging is the second key component. We built/equipped this place with that very thing in mind

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 01:52:34 PM »
I can say I've seen Danny beat that 3 mins a color deal, here you see a job still running, unload, load 9 colors raw, ink them, TriLock them, load sq/fl test print under 9 mins. That's pretty fast!

in case you forgot about that video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_FDQFkZBwk
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »
Sounds like we aren't in the same ballpark when it comes to what constitutes setup time.  It takes us longer to deal with squeegees, floodbars and ink than registration but I include all of that in the equation.  We're only talking about registration time if ink, sq's and fb's aren't taken into account. 

I think a proper setup includes taped and ready screens located by the press then actual placement of the screens on press, registration of those screens, then putting squeegee and floodbars in, then ink, then test printing, and finally (for us) taping off regi marks.  Which taping of regi marks takes about the same amount of time as inking a screen.

We're still a film shop but we can routinely see 3-4 minutes per color with over half of that time spent farting around with sq, fb, finding ink, stirring the ink, then putting it in the screen.   
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 03:47:50 PM »
When I talk setup/teardown I'm thinking of the entire process minus taping the screens....... I know ryonet has filmed several videos in my shop of us having a 10 color job on the press, we take the last shirt off the press put on the dryer and thats when the stop watch starts. We take 10 screens fully down with the tools, we then put up 10 new screens, 10 new sets of tools, load the screens with ink, etc then do a test print..... Once we have a test print in perfect reg we stop the timer and 99% of the time we are done in less then 10 minutes from the time we took the last shirt off the press until we have the next job ready to go. This is with 2 people, no more then that. In fact I know we have done live demos in my shop for Pierre, Zoocity, and a couple others on this forum that have been in my shop watching us do this.

I will see if I can post some videos

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 04:15:01 PM »
I can say I've seen Danny beat that 3 mins a color deal, here you see a job still running, unload, load 9 colors raw, ink them, TriLock them, load sq/fl test print under 9 mins. That's pretty fast!

in case you forgot about that video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_FDQFkZBwk

It's fast alright, and they are just moving along nicely, no rushing...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »

i hadn't seen this before. posted it for my guys to watch. At this point in scheduling i'm adding an additional 5 minutes per screen for setup just to stay honest to what we actually DO...