Author Topic: Photoshop Clipping Masks, Adjustment Layers and Locked Transparency.  (Read 3316 times)

Offline lemorris

Short vid covering some ways to use clipping masks, adjustment layers and locked transparency in Photoshop.  I'm on Photoshop CC but this works all the way back to at least CS2.  Enjoy.

-lem

http://youtu.be/MwyY5Qzfs-I
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:12:12 AM by blue moon »

Offline Lizard

Thanks for sharing Lem.  Good stuff as always.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline lemorris

Wish vids could just play here.

Thanks for checkin it out though.

I'll get better.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Wish vids could just play here.

Thanks for checkin it out though.

I'll get better.

hmmmm, they used to and I think some ppl still manage to. I tried to make yours work, but no luck. I'll look into it. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Biverson

Thanks for sharing! Awesome work. Any reason you use Photoshop to do the line work via Illustrator? Is it just easier for you to do the shading and coloring if it's all done in PS versus importing an EPS or AI?
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
I can't speak for what Lem does, but for me, I like the inking process done via Illustrator first and then brought in to Photoshop.  For me, the reason being is that you can do more with the line work using custom brushes. That's for me, pertaining to mostly experience with character art where you see a lot of thick n thin and end points. It can be done in Photoshop also.. Just easier for me in Illy. I've seen some people do some fantastic inking in Photoshop tho, so it might be like.. Mac versus PC or Illy vrs Corel. LOL.  For cars, I can see the use of more consistent line work with a slight taper here and there being done just as easily in Photoshop. Maybe Lem can elaborate on his preferences.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline lemorris

Re: Photoshop Clipping Masks, Adjustment Layers and Locked Transparency.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 07:53:39 PM »
It's just a better fit for what I do.  I have done it in both.  I just like the more organic feel in photoshop.  I set up a dynamic brush and just dive in.  the end result on the shirt is indistinguishable and I like to feel like I'm painting more than filling.  6 of one, half dozen of the other.  Thanks for checkin it out.

-lem
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:31:24 PM by lemorris »