Author Topic: Congress, your internet privacy, and VPN's  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Congress, your internet privacy, and VPN's
« on: May 31, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
"Back in March, the Republican-led Congress voted to repeal FCC rules that blocked ISPs from selling your data to third parties without permission. The vote largely fell along party lines and President Trump signed the bill into law in early April."
This isn't a debate about whether we were sold out by a certain political party, that would belong in the Controversy Cage (and besides, even those who voted for these folks probably also feel betrayed)
This is about covering our asses with Virtual Private Networks (VPN's)
Are you using one? A freebie or a paid premium service?
Do you have issues with anything like P2P? (only using for legal sharing, of course, but a bandwidth drain)
Are you now also enjoying those sports events usually blacked out?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prince Art

Re: Congress, your internet privacy, and VPN's
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »
Not using VPNs at this point, but learning more is on my list of things to do. The for-profit invasion of privacy in nearly all aspects of life & business in the digital age is outrageous. I think it it behooves everyone to look at ways to minimize exposure, as surely as we lock our doors at night.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline numbercruncher

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 08:43:01 AM »
Ditto - you guys are spot on -
Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:41:52 AM »
Frog, I am right there with you on the legal, and lets not even get into the privacy aspects of what our so called "representatives" have done...its downright criminal. Anyway, as I live in China I MUST use a VPN to circumvent the Great Firewall of China and access stuff like Gmail or Facebook. I have a VPN hardware setup that is actually a WIFI router (Asus) that has been re-flashed with a new OS.

The company is called Sabai, they make several brands and even other accessories and I could not be more pleased with the device. It supports several types of VPN protocols and even lets you assign devices as VPN or local. So for instance my wife here in China never used my VPN on her cell phone WIFI, so I just route it through the local but my VOIP phone and PC are VPN.

Sadly when I come back to the US at the end of the year, I will still have to use it....and a jammer in a new car too as they now come with built in over the air tracking and black boxes too. At some time in the very near future Americans need to get on board with meaningful privacy protections.
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.