Author Topic: Adding text to a sep, in PS or AI?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
Adding text to a sep, in PS or AI?
« on: May 31, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »
Hey guys I was messing around with a color separation today and got it to a point where I was ready to print, but I want to add some text cutting through the middle of the design..

Not sure how to go about this.

I'm a photoshop beginner. Should I add the text in photoshop or can I add it in Illy before printing?

Thanks!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Adding text to a sep, in PS or AI?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
Save as a dcs 2.o.  It will come out as an eps file.  Place that into illustrator and add text :)
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Lizard

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 08:57:19 PM »
I assume you have the PS file separated in channels.  First make sure your black channel is labeled all caps "BLACK" or some ore name.  Create a new file in illustrator then place the PS file into illustrator.  There you can place your vector text.  The placed file will embed the colors from your channels into the color swatch so you can color your text with the same color pallet.   Once everything is laid out you can resize your file as needed then print to film or cts.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »
So simple! Is it wrong that I expect everything to be complicated? Thanks!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »
In the earlier days, saving the channels as DCS 2.0 then importing into Illustrator for the text was done because we could get sharper text in Illustrator. But as computers have gotten faster and more powerful, you really can do it all in Photoshop; that being said, we still do the text in Illy, since we output from there anyway.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't