Author Topic: How fast can you print flash print white ink on darks?  (Read 4005 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
How fast can you print flash print white ink on darks?
« on: June 02, 2017, 04:23:09 PM »
just got off the phone with Joe and we were talking about printing white ink on dark garments. I remember being at Danny's and seeing him run in the 900's. We ran some this week and pegged out at 916/hour. It was a 12 wide and about 14" tall print. We could have eked out a little more if there wasn't about a quarter second delay in the flash unit programing (and go figure, ROQ already offered to reprogram them for us!). Joe's ink on 150LX mesh for underbase. Squeegees running at about 50% speed.

So, what's the best you can get out of your setup? Which inks are you using? Which mesh and tension? Anything else special?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
Re: How fast can you print flash print white ink on darks?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »
Way over 1000 pcs....... I just posted a video on instagram of us going just under 1000 pcs an hour with a 10"x10" round white logo....... Anything more then 1000 an hour my guys start to get wasted way too fast.

Right now I'm blending my own ink using a combination of several products and when we are running fast white it's always on 150/48 base and slightly higher for the top white. 25 newtons on the mesh

check out the instagram here - https://www.instagram.com/p/BU2a8iaD6wj/?taken-by=denverprinthouse
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »
bro send me one of those, that's my kids school! And our Church!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
Way over 1000 pcs....... I just posted a video on instagram of us going just under 1000 pcs an hour with a 10"x10" round white logo....... Anything more then 1000 an hour my guys start to get wasted way too fast.

Right now I'm blending my own ink using a combination of several products and when we are running fast white it's always on 150/48 base and slightly higher for the top white. 25 newtons on the mesh

check out the instagram here - https://www.instagram.com/p/BU2a8iaD6wj/?taken-by=denverprinthouse

Whats your eom for those?

I know you have played with just about every combination.  What made you decide to stick with 150/48?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 06:42:47 PM »

I know you have played with just about every combination.  What made you decide to stick with 150/48?

We are typically around 20-22% for the 150 mesh. It's hard for us to get less then that on that mesh. Anything lower then 150/48 for us here puts down too much ink which takes longer to flash, etc....... I'm getting ready to switch from newmans to tapeless statics now that our auto reclaim is dialed and 90% of our screens will be 150/48 and 225/40.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »
I mean, I can't really compete with you guys, but we're averaging 200-300/hr for a pfp white. All air machine isn't the fastest thing in the world on bigger designs and the flashback, even as a standalone flash, slows us down a little.

I honestly don't know how you guys can load that quickly and accurately. Once I get closer to the 400/hr mark it's tough for me to keep up.

We use the tapeless s-thread statics at around 19-22 newtons and my go to white lately has been Wilflex epic LB lava white but I use IC Legacy from time to time as well.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:16:02 PM by Nation03 »

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 07:58:48 PM »
I honestly don't know how you guys can load that quickly and accurately. Once I get closer to the 400/hr mark it's tough for me to keep up.

Agreed!  The pallets that don't raise up and down help.

My guys take 30 minutes to start running a simple job, then run the press so fast they can't load a damn shirt straight.  I'd like them to get faster setups down, then run the press a couple seconds slower so that they can load a shirt straight and accurately for 8 hours a day.

Danny that is pretty impressive, S Mesh, and good Technique. 

What shirts were those on?  That seems to play a huge difference, in my dream software print specs are also tied to garments it is printed on and you can do a star rating on printability so over time you could get an internal and customer feedback on garments which could help better select items that can print well.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
I find that with 135-s and 150-s and wilflex lava white, pretty much any style shirt we get a nice flat white. Took a little practice with a v-squeegee, but the thin thread mesh helps a lot and we switched the print blade to a 70/90/70 and the results have been pretty great.

Printed gildan 5000 and a ringspun poly blend Anvil shirts today with the same design and they both looked great.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 11:16:01 PM »
The LX mesh Pierre is using is amazing mesh. Almost zero "knuckle" and I agree with Danny most of our mesh is leaning towards 150/48 and 225/40. Of course every shop, customer base, and design is different but whenever on here and we are doing something award winning shops are such as these guys I breath a sigh of relief. Too much to learn not enough time!!!

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 12:41:18 AM »

We are typically around 20-22% for the 150 mesh. It's hard for us to get less then that on that mesh. Anything lower then 150/48 for us here puts down too much ink which takes longer to flash, etc....... I'm getting ready to switch from newmans to tapeless statics now that our auto reclaim is dialed and 90% of our screens will be 150/48 and 225/40.
Danny you going to do s mesh or lx or another brand non murakami? what type sealant?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 02:23:06 AM »
What is your flash time?
Is the ink dry or tacky after the flash?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline willy35

• www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 03:35:27 AM »
I can not do more than 720 on my sportsman EX -

120.48 and 225.90 on top - tension 20 newtons.
www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
San Gen Shugi - real place (Gen-ba), real part (Gen-butsu), reality (Gen-jitsu)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 05:02:35 PM »
I heard of the place doing 1300/hour, that's why I brought it up.
Printing at higher speeds is a combination of the equipment, chemistry and shop knowledge/circumstances.
600-700 seems to be the base number once all the main contributing factors are sorted out. This means, good  screens, good ink and properly calibrated equipment. Getting to 1300 is a lot of work!

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 01:33:01 AM »
I printed today around 850/hr, on tri blends though which are trickier to load.  Since we got the ECO we have been averaging in the 800's and its not hard at all to get in the 900's if we get the opportunity to print the right shirts.  As soon as we have to double stroke it drops us in the 600 range, which feels like torture after going 800+

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »
Printing at insane speeds reminds me of a slogan at a body shop:

"Perfection is not our goal, completion is."

Obviously tongue in cheek.