Author Topic: Wanted- a non tacky photopolymer emulsion  (Read 6273 times)

Online Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Wanted- a non tacky photopolymer emulsion
« on: June 03, 2017, 03:50:19 AM »
Hoping for recommendations for a good photopolymer emulsion that works great high humidity and is not tacky. Chromaline used to have one for a short period of the , Chroma/Tech TD but it has been discontinued. Apparently they are working on a better version now but no release date yet. What else is out there that might fit the bill?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Wanted- a non tacky photopolymer emulsion
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »
Whats available in Japan?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:47:20 PM »
Back when it was my regular emulsion, Chroma Tech PL wasn't noticeably tacky compared to the cheaper ones I have used for the last few years.  I find that lightly dusting with talc is worth the $40 a gallon savings.  ;D

For that matter, I seem to remember that Ulano QTX was fine as well in that respect.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:21:25 PM »
We have no problems with Saati PHU in a high humidity climate but we do have a dehumidifier and air conditioner in our screen drying room.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »
I just started using baby powder on every screen. Works great.

Online Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 06:52:19 PM »
Whats available in Japan?
I buy most our supplies in the States and have them shipped to Japan. So everything from Chromaline or CCI and others.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 10:05:50 PM »
The Saati PHU worked great for us on a nuarc 3140.

With multiple brands, we would experience screens being tacky from the heat from the exposure unit.

So we tried out a few and stuck with the PHU.  Plus it is water resistant with a very wide exposure latitude.

It downside is that it can be on the brittle side, the emulsion will crack under pressure if its to dry - squeegee edges will wear a path through the emulsion, which has been talked about in the past.

It is definitely one to put on your short list.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 08:40:48 PM »
We experience No tackiness with CryoCoat and our screen room climate can swing a bit with the weather

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline spsi

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 09:34:13 AM »
Chromaline says that they've put the non-sticky/humidity resistant properties of the TD into their Chromalime emulsion.  The new line should be rolling out soon.
spsi.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 10:16:43 AM »
Ulano QXO is good.  Also, call/email Kevin at River City and try out his Chromaline Prototype emulsion.  It's the least tacky pure photo emulsion I've ever used, and I've tested close to 25 different emulsions just in the last 2 years.  Emulsion tackiness has been a huge issue here at our shop, even with our dark room being very well maintained at 25-30% humidity.  The Prototype is one of the only emulsions that we don't have to use baby powder, but we still put it on there for lower mesh counts.  The QXO is my favorite all around emulsion right now but I use the Prototype all the time as well. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 12:59:41 PM »
We've been running Murakami t9 and really like it.  It doesn't seem tacky, but we are CTS, so I've never put film against it.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »
The T9 still gets tacky on glass :(

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 04:43:01 PM »
Can someone explain the baby powder procedure? Its crazy humid here in VA and we need a solution... every single screen we are exposing here we have major ink transfer / bad film sticking.

Are you just dusting the back of the screen with the powder before you place the film? How much are you using? Does it interfere with exposure?

thanks!

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 04:47:35 PM »
Plasticizers in pure photopolymers can get tacky in humid areas or on a hot metal halide exposure unit.  A little talc or baby powder on the screen before exposure and spread around the screen solves this issue.  Talc powder will not create pinholes if you spread it around.  Preserves ink jet positives. 
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »
Can someone explain the baby powder procedure? Its crazy humid here in VA and we need a solution... every single screen we are exposing here we have major ink transfer / bad film sticking.

Are you just dusting the back of the screen with the powder before you place the film? How much are you using? Does it interfere with exposure?

thanks!

A light dusting is all you need.  Just enough so that a very thin layer covers the area where the film is going.  I leave only the tiniest of holes in the adjustable lid then spread it out with my hand.  It should only take 5 seconds or so per screen.  We've had to do this since we moved away from dual cure and started using PP emulsions.  Some emulsions are even tacky enough to resist a large amount of powder, but it's usually the VERY high solids content PP emulsions, like around 50% solids content or higher. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.