Author Topic: How would you print this?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
How would you print this?
« on: June 05, 2017, 04:45:39 PM »
Im thinking 3 colors grey white and black?

Thoughts...?

Thanks everybody!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: How would you print this?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 05:22:42 PM »
Yup.

Looking at it carefully, you have a couple tones of dark black.  Is that intentional?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »
I think so. This is not my art, but yeah I think there are some darker tones along with the black.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 03:28:43 PM »
I only see black and white (there's nothing darker than black) I figure the gray background is the shirt. If I wanted a 3rd screen, it would be like a 355 for a 90 - 95% halftone of the black for the ampersand so it wouldn't fill in after a few prints...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »
I also see 2 colors black and white, looks like the art is distressed which give it a gray tone in the background if that's a grey shirts it's printed on, don't know if I would even use a 3rd screen for black just bump my black screen up to a 280 or higher to start with and see what I get.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 07:22:22 PM »
The & is a darker gray than the shirt but not black, and some of the distressing is gradients instead of hard edges, but I would only use two screens and halftone those areas at like 20% with the black to imply the darker gray.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »
I would print three colors, White, Black, Grey

I would combine the Ampersands and set 2017 onto one screen and print solid grey, then overprint some of the distress from the ampersands with the black.

I'd make the people and Baileys text all white so it pops better.

Depending on how much you like the customer, maybe split the black halftone from the solid black so you have four screens but three colors.  That way you could use a different black, or do the texture in water base and the foreground in plastisol so it has some shine and sets it off from the ugly distress in the background.