Author Topic: Do you need to be licensed to print MLB logo?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Do you need to be licensed to print MLB logo?
« on: June 06, 2017, 05:07:33 PM »
I have an order from a contract client. Their client is the MLB Network. These shirts have the MLB Network logo on the sleeve.

My question is, do I need to be licensed in order to print this job, or is the consent of my client all the permission I need since the order was placed by the MLB Network?

Offline Get Shirts

Re: Do you need to be licensed to print MLB logo?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:45:45 PM »
I believe the responsibility falls on the shoulders of your client in this situation. I would request a copy of his MLB merchandise license to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline numbercruncher

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 08:47:58 AM »
I believe the responsibility falls on the shoulders of your client in this situation. I would request a copy of his MLB merchandise license to be safe.

Not so sure about the first part - believe you are responsible for what you print. All professional sports and many corporations defend their brand litigiously. I know it's tough when you are dealing with a good customer - but, do you want to find out there is no agreement, or the current agreement does not cover your circumstance... might want to seek professional advice -
Michael Jirasek
Independent Consultant
708-227-5084
jirs23m@hotmail.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »
As someone who has done a bit of hot market printing, you should need a contract that states you can only use the image for a fixed purpose, and generally agree to not keep the files or films, in other words, be honest and not use it again for profit. We've printed for contractors of all of the major sports, and that's usually the way it's been done. So, you customer should be able to run that down for you...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
We've got a customer that is licensed to use the Braves logo on their shirts.  It's kind of a new thing for them, and me.  I'll make sure I do my  due diligence on this.  I know they paid around $75k to be an official sponsor of the Braves.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »
I think Michael has the correct answer. Check with somebody who is qualified to make that judgement call.

For us, we print for similar establishments and when it is clearly a garment NOT designed to be sold (ie it will be worn by the staff), we do not ask for any paperwork. If it can potentially be used to make profit, we get the contracts.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »
We're in Mass, and obviously, there have been a few championships around here for the last 17 years. We do the work for a children's division of Reebok, and we get a contract from them, and a contract from the NFL for the Pats, MLB for the Sox, NBA for the Celtics back in 08, and the NHL for the Bruins in 2011, all separate. A lot crossing of t's and dotting of i's...

Steve

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
We're in Mass, and obviously, there have been a few championships around here for the last 17 years. We do the work for a children's division of Reebok, and we get a contract from them, and a contract from the NFL for the Pats, MLB for the Sox, NBA for the Celtics back in 08, and the NHL for the Bruins in 2011, all separate. A lot crossing of t's and dotting of i's...

Steve

I agree with that. My point was that those are shirts that will be resold. If he is printing for the TV station and they are clearly for the staff, I would not bother with the paperwork (for the most part).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
It's a small order for the Network. 60 shirts. I believe it was part of a t-shirt design contest they had. I think the network is either giving them away or using them for the staff.

My first question when the client e-mailed me the design was, "Do you have permission or are you licensed to use the MLB network logo?" She then told me they are being printed for and shipped directly to the MLB Network Offices. It's also one of those orders they needed yesterday. So I need to ship them ASAP and I didn't want to hold it up. Figured it was worth a shot to see what you guys have to say.

Thanks for the info!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
I turned down a bid many years ago for a little league baseball program base they wanted minor league logo's printed, now we could have bought the team stuff but it was way over there budget, another printer printed the job.  I might have lost out, but I didn't feel good about knocking off minor league teams logo's without permission.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
After consulting with the client, they believe the shirts are for the staff of the radio show at the network for an event.

However, same client just asked me to price out a 1,000 piece order for the NHL Network now. I'll definitely want some permissions in writing before we move ahead with something like that.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »

Steve

I agree with that. My point was that those are shirts that will be resold. If he is printing for the TV station and they are clearly for the staff, I would not bother with the paperwork (for the most part).

pierre

Yes, same here, if not for resale, there's no point in chasing it all down, and those guys don't care about things like that. When we first started that, they would send a rep to sit here all night to watch to be sure we weren't sending stuff out the side door. There is a lot of that out there. We earned their trust and they never send anyone anymore. We have decided to turn it down next year, as it gets harder and harder to get a crew...

Steve

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 07:20:48 PM »
I have a customer that has us printing Atlanta Braves logos almost everyday!  Its legit, but its on them.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
Agreed. We've been printing the Cavs logo for a customer throughout the playoffs. These are items that are sold in the team shop as well so its completely legit. They do not seem to care who prints them. As long as the inks match and its delivered on time.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »
Agreed. We've been printing the Cavs logo for a customer throughout the playoffs. These are items that are sold in the team shop as well so its completely legit. They do not seem to care who prints them. As long as the inks match and its delivered on time.

would you happen to have a bunch of shirts sitting in the warehouse? You know, the ones that will be shipping back in few days. . .

pierre