Author Topic: I Image print head life expectancy  (Read 2929 times)

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
Re: I Image print head life expectancy
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »
So roughly 1,500$ per print head, every two years. So $4,500 for us 3 head machine owners.

Why isn't there a way to prolong the life of these heads?
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 11:21:29 AM »
Toby,

Regarding head life span, we use top quality, industrial Ricoh GEN 4 print heads. These are designed for long, trouble free life, but heads are expendable components, much like spark plugs, or brake pads.

The life of the heads in normal operation should be 1 to 3 years. This can vary based upon a multitude of things, including level of usage, environment, maintenance, etc.

With an average head life of approximately two years, and an average work year being comprised of 262 days, the cost of replacement heads would add aproximatly $6.00 per day to the cost of ownership of the i-Image. I think that if you look at the additional cost of the heads versus material savings, and increased efficiency, there is a substantial ROI on your i-Image investment.

If you have any additional questions, or suggestions please let me know.

Hello Geoff!

Geoff Baxter
Director, Digital Products Division
The M&R Companies

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 11:27:57 AM »
The way to prolong the life of these heads start with you.  Don't care or don't pay attention, and they last less. Perform the routine maintenance, they last longer.  That's not always the case and I'm not even saying that is indeed the case with Toby's situation. It just looks that way on the surface, but (print head) looks can be deceiving. He may have been preforming everything needed the whole time...and it still went out like this, but not typical at all.

I think every manufacturer would prefer to find a way to have their equipment last longer. A RICHO head is already probably the best head in the industry (so I hear). If it could be better now, my guess is that it would be.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Lizard

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 08:05:29 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys.  I feel like we are back in the stone ages the last few days with film.  You just don't know how good life is until you have to go back.  Definitely worth every penny.

I think we do a pretty good job of maintenance, daily nozzle checks, do our best to avoid scraping the head, etc...  but things happen.  I can't say (with the volume we do) that we didn't contribute to the issues.  Just the cost of business.  The down time is much worse than the cost of repairs.

Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225